What's new
What's new

Tooling List for Lathe

biglord4ever

Aluminum
I've got a Doosan landing in the shop next week, selling my beloved SB 14.5". Comes with a chuck, tailstock and live center, coolant skimmer, parts catcher, toolsetter. The rest is on me to tool up.

Here's my generic idea for tooling to get started:
-Outside rougher & inserts
-Outside finisher & inserts
-Outside threading & inserts
-Inside rougher & inserts
-Inside finisher & inserts
-Inside threading & inserts
-Collets for boring bars/drills
-Parting/Grooving tool
-Chuck soft jaws

Anything I'm missing? What would be on your list to tool up a new lathe?

I use a bunch of straight shank ER tool holders from MariTool: Straight Shank Tool Holders ER11, ER16, ER20, ER25, ER32, ER40 - MariTool. Since I already had collets from my mill it made it easy to mount drills, taps, and the like.

I also have a couple of knurling tools I use on occasion.

You have a bar feeder or plan on bar pulling? May need a puller if you’re going that route. Also would need spindle liners.

One of the best things I did was pull the 3-jaw and put on a 3J collet chuck. I make my own products, and all of them are made from 1-3/4” stock or smaller. I can run the collet chuck at higher speed without vibration, and without the 3-jaw “fan” beating my coolant into a fine mist and filling the shop. Collet changes are way easier than changing jaws, especially if you need to bore out a new set.

Coolant. With a new machine, some coolant manufacturers will give you enough coolant to charge your machine the first time, plus a little extra. They are hoping you will be a long term customer. Just need to ask around.

I've got a Doosan landing in the shop next week, selling my beloved SB 14.5". Comes with a chuck, tailstock and live center, coolant skimmer, parts catcher, toolsetter. The rest is on me to tool up.

Here's my generic idea for tooling to get started:
-Outside rougher & inserts
-Outside finisher & inserts
-Outside threading & inserts
-Inside rougher & inserts
-Inside finisher & inserts
-Inside threading & inserts
-Collets for boring bars/drills
-Parting/Grooving tool
-Chuck soft jaws

Anything I'm missing? What would be on your list to tool up a new lathe?

Indexable drills
OD grooving (I like Kennametal NG Top Notch, lots of different insert sizes, one toolholder)
ID grooving (also Kennametal NG Top Notch)

FWIW, I have like 3x as many ID toolholders on blocks as I do OD -- many more specific tool requirements for ID work than for OD. I have 8 different boring bars mounted on blocks, for example.

Regards.

Mike

Also, I have found that thru-turret coolant is way better than trying to squirt some coolant in there from outside. Thru-coolant tools are best, but for tools that don't have their own coolant bores, I make my own ID toolholder sleeves, so I can shoot coolant through the sleeve and have it hit right where it needs to be.

Regards.

Mike

Maybe a Multi Drill/Bore/face like the Iscar Multi's? I have them in 12mm,16mm and 25mm. They are only 2.5xD I think but it sure is nice to go in there and drill and bore decently with the same tool. I am sure others make something similar. Like Mike said thru coolant sure does help. Where I have the 25mm I have had to make a Frankenstein plan to get it coolant fed from the back into the sleeve but it makes the world of difference, even on lower pressure pumps.

Then a groove/turn option also like Mike said is also a big help if you can get rad and straight inserts for it. Can also be used for parting if need be.

Then a sharper tool like a VNMG for finishing/profiling.

For Face grooving I also like to make a solid coolant "pipe" so you can really blast the coolant in there without it knocking off the coolant hose. I prefer solid face grooving tools but blades work just as well, and you get two of them if you cut the blade in half.

Then a decent face/rougher tool for OD work. My go to's are a CNMG or WNMG. Then for shaft work (and you guys can laugh at me) a KNUX style still kicks butt. Even for a decent roughing boring bar. Only issue is the bar and the OD tool take LH and RH inserts so you have to "insert" up for both.

I suppose that is a decent start up. I do have ER25 holders that slide into my ID holders for random drills that I need.

Back