What's new
What's new

Tools breaking off in Schunk Hydraulic Tendo holders

mColton

Plastic
Using .500 GWS end mills doing high speed machining and the tool has broken off inside the holder 3 times now. We are definitely pushing the limits on feeds and speeds but is it common for the tools to break off inside the holder like this?

How far in are they breaking?

Hydraulics have pinch points ("rings") and don't grab the tool uniformly down the entire bore.

Hydraulics are good for high speed machining and light to medium roughing and of coarse fine finishing.
Shrinks are great for high speed machining and medium to medium heavy roughing.
Endmill holders are great for heavy roughing.

It is not uncommon for shanks to break inside of endmill holders as well.

Lots of people go one size larger on hydraulic holders so they have to use a sleeve. Advantage is that is a tool breaks, worst case the sleeve is damaged and not the holder. Disadvantage is a little reduction in grip and depending on the sleeve increase in TIR.

Using .500 GWS end mills doing high speed machining and the tool has broken off inside the holder 3 times now. We are definitely pushing the limits on feeds and speeds but is it common for the tools to break off inside the holder like this?

A milling chuck, or a solid holder with a weldon flat might be better if you're really pushing the limits of the tool.

We have one of them holders that uses inserts to reduce it down to .5 from 3/4 our insert got bad and caused our to have troubles
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lots of people go one size larger on hydraulic holders so they have to use a sleeve. Advantage is that is a tool breaks, worst case the sleeve is damaged and not the holder. Disadvantage is a little reduction in grip and depending on the sleeve increase in TIR.

I have had it told that it actually increases the holding power by using a sleeve. It was explained to me that a 1 1/4" hydraulic holder has a lot more force than a 1/2". By using a sleeve it takes the force that is used to hold a 1 1/4" tool and applies to the 1/2" tool. Made sense at the time.

Yes but other factors come into play when using a sleeve.
Because of manufacturing tolerances you have additional play that the hydraulic holder needs to compensate for when you add a sleeve resulting in same or less grip.

Back