What's new
What's new

Tormach 1100M - want separate independent spindle switch.

theleetbeagle

Plastic
Hello,

What is the best way to have a separate spindle switch, say next to the E-Stop button?

It could even be a minikeyboard or programmable 10-key with a shortcut embedded into to send M5, etc. But there has to be an easier way.

Thoughts, please.

I know nothing about Tormach setups, but you might look into just spicing a switch into the wiring AFTER the control circuitry (right before the motor in effect). I did that with a Bridgeport CNC knee-mill (3-phase motor, no separate OEM manual spindle switch), since having to enter M3 and M5 commands for setup work was a PITA. So you can enter M3, then turn the spindle off and on manually, enter M5 when finished tinkering around. I also added a light below the switch to show when the spindle power was ON (M3 active, even though the switch may be OFF). Obviously this may not work if spindle speed and/or position is being monitored and such by the control.

Thats fine if the motor was controlled with a simple on/off contactor, but it would be controlled by a VFD on a tormach and putting a switch in between the motor and VFD will fry the VFD in short order. You could probably find the signal from the control to vfd to start the spindle and put the switch there.

They dont come with an easy way to turn the spindle on and off already?

Back