What's new
What's new

Tormach spindle reverse

69boss302

Plastic
I'm not a machinist and the Slant Pro, and CNCs, are new to me.

Can anyone help me with how to program the spindle to run in reverse to cut threads within PathPilot? Is it something as easy as editing the G code?

I'd rather not have to buy yet another threading tool so I'm hoping to run the thing backwards. I'm currently waiting for Tormach tech support to call me back on this one.

Have you studied the spindle control M codes? Tormachs run a custom Linuxcnc implementation, it should have everything you need. Why do you need reverse for threading? LH or RH just changes your start position.

Ed.

I've looked over the code but I really don't know what I'm looking at just yet.

Running it in reverse would let me keep the same tooling setup I have without having to buy another toolholder. And then have to change everything else because of it.

If I can run it backwards and cut from left to right, it'd be the easier solution. Maybe.

I'm very much new to CNC.

I'm trying to get this tool to cut a RH thread. If I can.

It's at the bottom of the riser block, near the X-axis limit. If I flip it, it'll be 1/2" below center line. I don't have a way to make a riser block for it.

I could buy another tool with the insert facing up and another riser block but that'd be another $300 or so.

As best I can figure, it's either figure out how to run it in reverse or buy another tool again. And still have to figure out a way to fit it so I can clear the other tools, the chuck and have it fit in the X-axis.

20201025_111032.jpg

Running it in reverse would let me keep the same tooling setup I have without having to buy another toolholder. And then have to change everything else because of it.

If I can run it backwards and cut from left to right, it'd be the easier solution. Maybe.
Umm, hunh ? If you run in reverse, the part rotates the opposite way. So you either have to put the tool on the opposite side or on the same side, flip it over and raise it up, so the cutting part is still on centerline. You'll probably need a new tool no matter what, unless you can put the one you have on the other side of the part.

Did you pop out the plastic blanking plates and run air duct to the rear brakes yet ?

If I run it in reverse, then the part would be turning into the cutting edge. The threading tool is oriented so that the cutting edge is facing down (slant bed, towards the operator). So as the part turns in the normal forward rotation, it actually contacts the underside of the cutter instead of the cutting face.

Are you talking about this POS? Tormach 15L Slant-PRO Lathe | Tormach

I'm surprised you can actually thread with it.........

It's good to see the love for the "hobbyist toy/it's not a real lathe because it's not a HAAS/Mazak/Doosan/big bull moose nut swinging lathe like I have at work" attitude still carries on. It was great to see it 3 1/2 years ago when I joined the forum. Makes my insides all warm and fuzzy to see it still today.

It's good to see the love for the "hobbyist toy/it's not a real lathe because it's not a HAAS/Mazak/Doosan/big bull moose nut swinging lathe like I have at work" attitude still carries on. It was great to see it 3 1/2 years ago when I joined the forum. Makes my insides all warm and fuzzy to see it still today.

Don't really mater what you or anyone else "thinks".
The site owner has rules....

I'm not a machinist and the Slant Pro, and CNCs, are new to me.

Can anyone help me with how to program the spindle to run in reverse to cut threads within PathPilot? Is it something as easy as editing the G code?

I'd rather not have to buy yet another threading tool so I'm hoping to run the thing backwards. I'm currently waiting for Tormach tech support to call me back on this one.

tool holders are less then $70........ buy what works instead of screwing around to save 5 cents.
im guessing lathe work is new to you also?

Are you trying to cut on the back side with the spindle in reverse? You do know that M3 is spindle forward and M4 is spindle reverse? I think you better cut a lot of air before a work piece. What G code are you using for the threading?

Ya, liked the stick out on the boring bar. ;-)

You should be able to thread in reverse (m4) starting in the thread relief and going away from the chuck. I wouldn't do that though, I'd flip the tool over and shim up the toolblock or modify the holder.

I used a gooseneck threading holder (NSRDH163D) for ages in my old Mazak, it let you use a normal turning tool block (insert up, above the part) but offset the tool up so the insert faced down. You could cut your tool and weld it back together...

tool holders are less then $70........ buy what works instead of screwing around to save 5 cents.
im guessing lathe work is new to you also?

I've been making my stuff for the past 3 1/2 years with a benchtop metal lathe rather successfully. And now I'm moving up to CNC as the business grows. I've used taps and dies for my threads. So this aspect of threading with the lathe is new to me

You should be able to thread in reverse (m4) starting in the thread relief and going away from the chuck. I wouldn't do that though, I'd flip the tool over and shim up the toolblock or modify the holder.

I used a gooseneck threading holder (NSRDH163D) for ages in my old Mazak, it let you use a normal turning tool block (insert up, above the part) but offset the tool up so the insert faced down. You could cut your tool and weld it back together...

Thank you.

Back