What's new
What's new

Torque/HP and tool wear/breaking

cncmach7050

Plastic
Quick recap: The shop where I work has been running Fadal's exclusively for 25+ years, until two years ago when they purchased a new Hurco. The owner and programmer have spent a total of less than 40 hours on this machine and have left it to me to learn everything. (This can be a lot of fun, but also very frustrating!)
So, when I am cutting steel I see tool wear/breakage and parts lifting in the vice that didn't occur on the Fadals. When I ask for help, they just tell me it is the way they have always run these parts and they have never had trouble before.
Do I need to adjust RPM/SFPM when cutting steel on the Hurco to compensate for it being more powerful machine (torque/HP) than the Fadals?

If it’s the same tools and same vices along with same feeds and speeds it should work just fine. You can have 10 or 50hp at the machine if you are using the same feeds and speeds it will be the same power used.

Now what is probably happening is you are using faster speeds and feeds therefore pulling the parts out. Is that the case?

If it’s the same tools and same vices along with same feeds and speeds it should work just fine. You can have 10 or 50hp at the machine if you are using the same feeds and speeds it will be the same power used.

Now what is probably happening is you are using faster speeds and feeds therefore pulling the parts out. Is that the case?

I am using the same programs--only changing E1's to G54's and putting a G28 at end of tools/program. Speeds and Feeds are the same. This is why I am digging deeper...

I see a couple possibilities:

Workholding- is everything locked down solid? You don't directly state if you ever ran the Fadals so we're not sure of what you're used to.

Improper feed mechanisms on the Hurco- How is the backlash on the hurco? Excessive amounts can lead to erratic feeding and that may exhibit itself as you've described. This could be expanded to loose gibs or poorly tuned servos as well.

Coding errors- If you're only changing offsets and some other minor code it makes me wonder if the Hurco needs different G code beyond the obvious.

I should have made it clear--I was running (and still do sometimes) the Fadals before we got the Hurco. According to what I've read G01/02/03 are the same for Fadals and Hurco. I will look into the backlash issue.

It sounds like the D.O.C. on the Hurco is greater than the other machines. This will definitely cause lifting of the part. The difference is that the Hurco won't stall.

Probably. I was thinking more about things like G8/G9.

That’s a good point suggestion. The hurco may handle the tool path slightly different pushing the part into the corners faster.
May have faster accelerations and faster processing speed making the actual feed faster.

Back