What's new

Total novice buys sweet CNC

• Thread starter atetsade
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1,997
A

atetsade

don't be too jealous, since all it will be doing is running off sophisticated hardware in lots of thousands.

we're going to choose an Okuma Howa ACT-35 or a Mori CL25B or a Haas SL-30 or a Cincinnati of comparable size, have it shipped here in a few days. we're using phase perfect to convert its three phase, so basically when this thing gets here we pick a spot and plug it in.

Well, I congratulate myself on learning so much about CNC machines and the problems that go along with them in the past two weeks. I think we'll make a pretty informed decision and buy a pretty nice CNC machine.

Is hands-on or classroom training strictly necessary? I mean, if you knew nothing about controllers but didn't feel too intimidated about using one, would you be able to read a couple good books on the subject and use a Fanuc 18t (for example) and set up and run a CNC machine in a reasonable amount of time?

I like to read and apply what I read, I was a Lego-maniac and all that. can anyone suggest a good read that will explain G-code, M-code, CNC setup and operation?

WOW! That takes balls. I don't think I would have had the courage to jump into a project that requires running parts in lots of "thousands" on a yet undecided machine and not even be familiar with G-codes, M-codes, ect.

How do you even quote on a job without at least some basic background?

You don't seem to be intimidated by the technology and are eager to learn, so I think you can learn quite a bit from reading books and applying what you read at the machine control. I wish you all the luck in your new venture. For some good reference books, check out Mike Lynch's site at http://www.cncci.com/

[This message has been edited by E-Stop (edited 04-04-2003).]

Vistit www.cncci.com. Mike Lynch runs this website and company and has quite a selection of educational material for sale.

There are a lot of subtleties about running a CNC of any sort that can only learned with experience. A good manual will get you pointed in the right direction and get you started. After that it is up to you and your imagination.

Take care
ARB

Woops. Sorry EStop I had my previous post open for quite a while before posting it. Looks like CNCCI is a popular choice.

ARB

I see that. looks like a pretty functional item. are any of you using his courses to train operators?

I've also heard of tooling U, on the internet. one of the guys who'll eventually be setting up jobs expressed an interest there, and I think I'll compare these two tonight.

Another thing I'd like to get my hands on is a book of G-code reference or instruction, or even whatever programming might be done.

I think we're pretty excited about an Okuma Howa ACT-35 with a Fanuc 18t. are there books about specific controllers published?

You should receive a complete set of manuals either in paper or CD form with your machine. Different machine tool builders will have variances in some of the G codes and M codes. Fanuc gives a lot of flexibility to pick different functions. If you are good at trig you can do G code. If not, look into a CAM package that will do it for you. You can spend a lot of time programming instead of running your business! Also, your machine tool distributor will offer training. Make it part of the package deal to get at least a couple of people trained as part of the cost of the machine. This is a common request. Machine sales are so low that most distributors will do just about anything to get your sale. They might even turnkey the first part for you with tooling, setup, and program. It never hurts to ask. Good Luck!

when i first started cnc i put a carrot in my end mill holder and used a program i had written to make a circle in a marangue pie. worked real well and protects the equipment till you know what your doing. crash the vertical head and it will have to be rescraped for realignment.

I think we're definately getting the ACT-35. The used dealer with that Okuma&Howa machine tool has already took out the comps in the control and did a cut for us, creating a record of the measurement. the comp was X22 backlash, about .003 and he said he entered the diameter size after cutting .005 and came within a tenth of the size he cut down, taking off .070 with a cruddy tool.

they let me talk to the mechanic, the previous owner and we found it it was just a job shop machine, and not used for broaching as the salesguy had said.

Trig, huh? we can do trig. I like the turnkey idea, and though I'm sure this place doesn't offer training, I'll mention that next time I talk to them too.

Turns out the guy makes broaches on manual lathes. his brother ran the CNC lathes and it was just jobbed.

In my mind, the Okuma&Howa ACT-35 is just one hell of a machine. I think I will get used to it using a carrot, if anything just because someone would catch me and get a kick out of it. Oh yea, crashing a 1144 ipm rapid into a 3500 RPM spindle would make me piss my pants too.

I'm pissing my pants anyway, unable to wait to see this tool. Imagine the possibilities that await the company, going from cams and brownies and squeezing movements together to fit our old ass cams which are not at all general purpose.

Next CNC we get is going to be the rattiest 3 axis toolroom mill around. using trig and G-code, it would seem easy to set up the ideal cam for a brown&sharpe and cut it out of a blank.

I've got college books on math, a book on trig, all 101 stuff. graphic calculator, 26th Ed Machinery's Handbook, 40 years of cutting experience in one man, and 100 years experience combined. Paid consultation, KGKI in Chicago for support, and I'm about to get on one of the nicest machine tools I've ever heard of.

Pretty good improvement from two weeks ago when the need became so apparent. it's written on the walls of screw machine shops.

it seems like I can find a good book on just about any subject, but I can't seem to find one about running a Fanuc 18t. do you guys think this is a popular controller or do you believe a Fanuc bible exists?

I'll have a complete set of manuals. you guys pointed me on to a nice operator/setup course, I'm looking at tooling u in another window, and I think all I lack is a big big big book.

What is the difference between G-Code and parametric programming?

Parametric programing is an extension of G-code. You'll still be writing the same type of G-code lines except using variables in place of the actual numbers. Then you can do all kinds of IF/THEN type statements, calling other subroutines based on values in your formulas, ect.

I've finally had it with the dealer who owns that Okuma&Howa. Eh whatever

Found a nice Daewoo 10HC all set up for barwork. LNS feeder, collet chuck, parts catcher, the works. This will do our big stuff nicely for the time. I think I'm taking a hint and focusing on Kia gang type lathes for the future. Kia salesman was out this morning, very impressive machinery.

Now that I'm strictly South Korean, how do you people feel about Daewoo lathes? I see them out there, I've seen them around. I haven't heard a thing about them, and that's probably a good thing.

Thanks for your help and opinions. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be able to provide help to someone else in the future.

Just don't ask me about ISO 9000

Back