What's new
What's new

Touch probe to a Makino rcm55 - fanuc 0M

ToolCat

Aluminum
Trying to add a touch probe to a Makino rcm55 - fanuc 0M.
From what I read it can be done at pin 49 on the M18 connector. I have located M18, and it has a cable connected to it. I am trying to trace where it goes to find a place that I can get to pin 49?

Or I read the skip signal can be done with a high speed interface through M12 pin 14. Same problem though. Where does the wire lead that I can get to pin 14 of M12?

fanuc%200m%20M18.jpg

I know this thread is old but i would also like to add a touch probe for setting tool length. I have been looking all over for how to hook this up and use it. I also have an rmc 55. From the research and manuals i have found that the skip signal uses connector m18 pin 49 with an address number of X008#7. Also looks like connector M12 pin 14 holds the high speed skip. How can you tell if you can use either of these? Can anyone help further on getting this working. from what i read the pin 49 just needs an input of 24v to activate it but im not sure where the g31 comes in ect

Thanks

skip 2.jpg
skip signal.jpg
HSK.jpg

It's pretty easy to remove the shell from connector M18 and see if there is a wire connected at pin 49. Don't worry about the X8.7 address at this time. If there is a wire connected to pin 49 just trace the cable to where it is terminated. Might be on a terminal strip. If there is nothing attached to the pin then that is where you would connect the probe triggered output of a probe interface box. Signal must be sourced from the 24V DC CNC power, not an external power source.

Most controls have the regular skip signal enabled. High speed skip is almost never provided unless some special probing was ordered when the machine was purchased. High speed skip may not be supported by all firmware versions too. Would need to know what control you have and what firmware version you have to check it out.

Thanks for the help. I will check that out first thing in the morning. My control is a o mate mf. Here is my boot up screen. It has some conversational programming in it.

Will i be ok un plugging the m18 or m12 connector without loosing power to anything important. Thanks again.

Will the regular skip be ok for the home shop kinda guy for setting tool length?247278d1547868638-fanuc-om-control-parameter-backup-img_20190118_182859.jpg

You can unplug the M18 connector with the machine power off. It only has I/O signals. The Mate series controls do not support high speed skip and in any case it is not needed for a tool setting probe.

You will need macro programming to use the probe. The Mate series controls only have Macro A. Does your machine have that option?

What tool setting device are you planning to use?

Awesome ill use the regular skip then.

I know what the 900 param is for macro a so i will check it get back to you.

I planned to get one of the ebay touch probes. You can get them in normally open or normally closed.

......I planned to get one of the ebay touch probes. You can get them in normally open or normally closed.

Be aware that those cheap tool setting probes do not have overtravel e-stop circuitry like many industrial type have. If there is a failure of the touch switch the tool will not stop and will crush things until the axis overloads. Not a real issue in the ghetto stepper drive type mills and routers these are targeted at, but on a machine like the RMC it will break shit. The RMC does have a form of crash protection on the head so damage will be minimized, but IMO you don't really want to utilize it.

Alright good to know good to know! Do you know a basic tool setter that is of reasonable price? I checked out connector m18 there is a wire at the connector board and goes down to ca6 connector. On the other side of this where all the blue wires are there is nothing on the 49 pin. So if im understanding this right i will go 24v up to the probe. Once probe closes switch out 24v to pin 49.

If i did get a tool setter with the over travel switch how would that wire in? Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_124820.jpg
    IMG_20190216_124820.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20190216_133524.jpg
    IMG_20190216_133524.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 122
I've never used any "reasonable priced" tool setters. They have all been expensive to crazy expensive. If I was thinking about something for home use, I'd look at the potential to ad an overtravel protection function to one of the cheap ones.

The overtravel switch would be a NC connection and wired in series with the other e-stop switches.

Alright i will look into that. I do have custom macro a enabled already. Ill get the hardware together and keep you updated. I appreciate all the help. Do i assume the ladder is ok to use this skip function and g31 function?

Awesome! Ill let you know. You wouldnt happen to have the programming manual mor a model L pmc would you. Manaul b-55193e? Im having a little trouble with my coolant relay and air mist relay and button. Thanks again

Well i think im up crap creek again. I ordered a touch tool setter. It has a normally open contact then 5mm down it trips a nc contact for safety.

probe

There is a review on a couple guys using it here. You will have to fix the dirty word for the link to work.

https://www.*******.com/forums/tormach-personal-cnc-mill/334442-100-china-made-etss-ebay.html

I was messing around with the ladder and did a search for x8. 7. It returned nothing. I searched for x008.7. Nothing. Wth its not in the ladder which means i cant use it can i? This is a pic of my small 20 page machine diagnostic manual. :angry:

Attachments

• IMG_20190221_191113.jpg
    IMG_20190221_191113.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 91
It will work. X8 bit 7 is directly read by the CNC. See this clip from the Fanuc hardware connection manual....

0M mate I-O for SKIP signal.jpg

You can verify it without having your setter. Command a long slow move in X and while X is moving jumper 24V (CNC power supply!!!! Not an external power supply) to pin 49 on connector M18. The axis should stop moving and the distance to go should be zero.

Back