What's new
What's new

Transfer files - other Options

jephw

Aluminum
Goodmorning all.
At the moment I am transferring my NC files programmed on CAM software from the laptop to machine via a USB stick, definitely isn't the most convenient way of doing things. What are better options for doing this if the machine isn't set up for networking?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I kind of think the USB is easy, if you wanted something different you can look at DNC software. we have it, but do not use it anymore. Everyone loads from work stations with the USB drive.

Depending on age of machine and options, RS232 and a switch box (if more than 1 machine) usually works well, however, at least on older ones I have used, you still need to walk out to machine and *turn on* the receive mode then go back to pc and send....

I've done serial/RS232 plenty before. I prefer USB. It's much faster and far more reliable. If you're doing RS232 and your cable connection starts getting flakey you can drop a character and never know it until your machine crashes. Never had that happen on USB.

I just was wondering if there's something else out there than shuttling a USB stick and loosing them sometimes. But I suppose they are cheap enough to keep on doing that.
Thanks for your replies folks!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I used to have a WiFi usb storage stick. You could connect to if from an app on the phone (or another pc) and load pictures up and then see on your computer with it plugged in. Might work with enough range to drop files to it over the network... idk never tried it with cnc

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Connect-Wireless-Stick-Flash/dp/B00ZCFYT5K

USB sticks, CF cards etc. are a huge pain in the arse. We've been doing that for years and I have had enough. Way too much foot traffic.

I had an epiphany last year when I realised that I was choosing the use the old serial port machines over the newer ones for quick jobs purely because it was more convenient than fucking around with a pen drive. Then we installed a new machine and ran ethernet to it at install.

Currently in the process of getting ALL our machines wirelessly networked. Those that have ethernet (all but two, but we never wired them because usb) I have proven out with cheap wireless repeaters hooked in to their ethernet. Works great, negligible cost. Those that only have serial I have bought a moxa networked serial port to try out with one of the cheap wifi repeaters. Haven't proven that yet, but see no reason why it wouldn't work. Currently have the serial port machines tethered to a headless pc that acts as a data server for them, which works well, so if the moxa/wifi combo doesn't work out it's not a huge deal.

Edit: these are the repeaters that I bought:
Wifi Range Extender Repeater Wireless Router Range Signal Booster 2.4GHz | eBay

Just hook up to it's lan port, connect it to your wifi network, turn off the internal dhcp server, plug it into the machine, good to go.

We spent around $6k on our wireless Predator dnc system. I loved the idea, we just had so many problems with it not connecting. The lights on the box on the machine showed green, but the computer running the predator software showed not connected (red light). It just turned into more walking to reset it than loading a usb off the workstation 10ft from the machine.
I really wish it would have turned out better. That is just my experience with it.

Yep, put an antique $200 Craigslist computer in front of every machine or cluster of machines. Use it to load programs, look at setup sheets and prints, etc.

I wound up using an old laptop and a USB to RS-232 cable. Works well. I've only got four CNCs and they're in close proximity to each other, so I don't have a lot of ground to cover.

There are reliable USB to RS232 converters out there. I know in the past Vancbiker and maybe some others have mentioned ones that work.

Obviously amazon "stuff" is going to be spotty and IMO not worth risking your spindle bearings over :willy_nilly:

We found this guy years ago. You load the software in your computer and then put these wireless coms on every machine and wire them into the com port or something. He walks you through it on a phone call. Then you can send and receive programs from your computer. I think you’ve got to go to the machine to receive the program so maybe it’s just as quick as using a USB stick but it’s not bad! We’ve got like 8 or so and they’ve worked great for us.

Highland DNC, LLC.

Back