What's new
What's new

Tree 250/Acramatic 2100 reading disc error, don't have disc

gbent

Diamond
I just acquired a Tree 250 with a Acramatic 2100 control. I bought the machine as running, unable to test, but no ability to return. After I get it wired up, I get a reading disc error. I didn't think this control needed a disc, is my hard drive bad? I have no experience with this control, any help would be appreciated.

tree 250 2100 startup error.jpg

The 2100 is 2 PCs coupled with an bridge board.
The BIOS is special and must be flashed in.
If the battery goes bad, and it reads the bios on the chip it will not boot.
Fives rhymes with thieves, still has some support for the 2100 on an Cincinnati.
Tree I do not know.
Best of Luck!

Did you notice someone selling that control in the machinery for sale section? They could know something.

I Just had trouble with my Tree 750 with a pc2100, troubleshooted last week with ZPS- CNC USA. I ended up sending the controller out to them, they had it fixed in a day and it should arrive back tomorrow. They are the only support for these machines that I know of. The price wasn't too bad either. Look them up.

Looks like the hard disk is shot. It's quite common with the 2100 and there's a guy that sells replacements on eBay for about $600 last time I looked on the USA eBay. there are some used ones on the Philippine eBay for 7,000 PHP (about $140). In any case you will need to have the MAI (Machine Application Interface) file. Used to Siemens had it on their extra-net for free download but it seems to be gone now.

Once you get it up and running make sure you keep it climate controlled. They were known to be finicky and undependable unless you took good care of them. If you wind up using ZPS-CNC and the machine is still solid you should consider upgrading to the E model. It gets you a USB port, windows XP, and a faster boot time. Oh,,,, don't ever go into C or D drive in maintenance mode. If you so much as touch the D icon it will begin the series that reloads the software and can cause serious problems. Aside from that, The 2100 is still 10 years ahead of any control out today IMO.

And keep it away from anything flamable, Mine got a little warm,
YouTube

The two PC motherboards are the WS (work station) and the RT ( real time ) motherboards.

The WS boots up, that is the one having trouble with the disk,
Once it boots up, it downloads to the RT motherboard, via the BBB ( basic bridge board )

There once a was a seller on ebay, ( sonyman48 ?? ... IIRC ) Can't find any listings right now.
He sold replacement disk drives for under $200
Also he had the Much preferred solid state disk drives.

Only the RT board had a special binary download to the BIOS/CMOS

If the battery died, that had to be re-downloaded.
You are not to that point yet....
You also do want to keep a GOOD battery in the WS motherboard.
It looks like you are stopped at the CMOS screen... of the WS motherboard.
That sounds encouraging, the disk might be OK, just need the CMOS settings reset/fixed
Sometimes if the WS battery went weak, it can forget how to boot, or try to boot off the floppy drive.
Sometimes going into the CMOS screen (where you are when it stopped) and changing and saving the settings will update the storage for the settings, and possibly overwrite a bad bit in the CMOS configuration memory...

OF course if you can't spot any mistakes I just typed out, you need an OLD computer nerd, who still remembers how to work with the CMOS screen/settings.

Again, you disk (Could) be OK, and your trouble is in the CMOS...

Good Luck.

To recap... The screen you have right now makes me [suspect] that the battery on the WS motherboard is going dead, and lost the settings to boot off the disk.
But I could be WRONG.

i take it that you have moved the machine? unplug all the cards in the control clean and reassemble. ive had problems with both my A2100s after moving it seams things shake loose!

Thanks everyone. Indeed, it just needed to have the board's re-installed.

Now the problem is the Yaskawa vfd spindle drive shows a ground fault after it's been powered up for a few minutes to a few hours. It has ran long enough to know the motor runs and the spindle sounds ok.

Back