What's new
What's new

Tree 325 Dynapath Delta 20 Programming Basics Info Request

BenTerrible

Aluminum
Several PM members helped me trouble shoot this machine this week. I am grateful for their help, as the machine does seem to be up & running (I use the phrase "seems to be" because, with the exception of a few bolt circles, I have yet to run a program on this machine). I need to build the programming confidence a bit.

This is my first CNC machine and my goal is to develop a good foundation on the priniciples of conversational programming. I have a background in CAD (Solidworks daily for a long time now) and I have intentions of taking advantage of CAM & the drip feed option my machine is capable of, but I would like to start with understanding how to program at the machine first. I have been starring at all of the included manuals for the past week. For the most part, the Dynapath manual is very good, however, there are a few road blocks that I have been experiencing with regard to programming this machine for simple operations. Up front, I appreciate all the help!

I suppose an easy way to begin this is request help with a mock up program for this control. Assume the following:

Material: 4.00" OD x 6.00" 5052 rd bar

.50" x 3.75" Long 2 flute end mill

clamped in vise vertically

Let's say we want to mill a circle pocket feature on center on the top surface with a finish diameter of 3.00" and a finish depth of .50"

I have tried using the circle mill function a few times on the machine without much luck. I am receiving an error "033: Pocket circle C0 CDC0". I am unsure what this means. I have made adjustments to "C" in the circle mill program with no success.

Inside the command prompt for the circle mill function C is the cutter radius comp feature and is asking for 1 of 3 inputs, C0, which will set the tool center on the circle path, C1, which puts the cutter on the left side of the roughing direction, and C3, which puts the cutter on the right side of the roughing direction.

I am using a G7 command for this.

Can anybody run through programming this tool path on the Delta 20?

Things I need clarification on:

Option 9 - Zero set: Is this the part program zero?

Fixture offsets: how does the machine interpret these?

Home: Can I set home wherever I want it to be? How?

Start position for a program: How do I create this?

I would like to set this up at a known start location, then have the machine turn th spindle on, job to the center of the 4.00" diameter and proceed with a plunge cut to some Z dimension, and then interpolate the bore. Ultimately this would repeat until the bore depth of .500" is achieved. Then, after the bore is completed, I would like to have the machine return back to the start location.

Again, thanks in advance!

I would like to set this up at a known start location, then have the machine turn th spindle on, job to the center of the 4.00" diameter and proceed with a plunge cut to some Z dimension, and then interpolate the bore. Ultimately this would repeat until the bore depth of .500" is achieved. Then, after the bore is completed, I would like to have the machine return back to the start location.
I don't like conversational, this would be a picnic in standard ol' g-code, so mostly I'll shut up except that I also don't like plunging if it can be avoided. In this part I'd ramp down as you drive around your circle.

I have a Delta 20 on a Lagun nee mil, cant answer exactly as mach. is in barn an I am drinking coffee in the house.BUT, I can tell you that I bet u are overthinking it all, conversational is kinda to remove all thinking, simply fill in the blanks as you are scrolling down the list, Ur "Cs" are simple questions,your answer goes in the blank,try it again, perhaps it wants a hole drilled where you want to plunge??

0 set is a manual way to set zero,NOT in Gram

Fixture offsets are entered manually, called in gram with E1, E2,E3,excedra,same with cutter comp.,CC(or dia of cutter) is T 1,T2,T3,CC may be Rad. of cutter too?
I stood in front of mine for a week drooling like a idiot before any confidence came my way,
I too mostly G code her, but there are things that are awesome bout Conversational,.

Home (tool change)postion can be set wherever one wants, I always called home where she went at morning startup, to sycn mach an control?

Start postion is in gram,always i think.,for example,where hole would be for ur circle ur wanting to mil.

once more,you are perhaps overthinking it, fill in the blanks like they were answers to SIMPLE questions mach is asking.

AND!!! cut air until ur sure, consider it a game,u will have more fun.
Good Luck,you will be fine.
Gw

ps, eg mostly shut up? i doubt that

Last edited:
I have a Delta 20 on a Lagun nee mil, cant answer exactly as mach. is in barn an I am drinking coffee in the house.BUT, I can tell you that I bet u are overthinking it all, conversational is kinda to remove all thinking, simply fill in the blanks as you are scrolling down the list, Ur "Cs" are simple questions,your answer goes in the blank,try it again, perhaps it wants a hole drilled where you want to plunge??

0 set is a manual way to set zero,NOT in Gram

Fixture offsets are entered manually, called in gram with E1, E2,E3,excedra,same with cutter comp.,CC(or dia of cutter) is T 1,T2,T3,CC may be Rad. of cutter too?
I stood in front of mine for a week drooling like a idiot before any confidence came my way,
I too mostly G code her, but there are things that are awesome bout Conversational,.

Home (tool change)postion can be set wherever one wants, I always called home where she went at morning startup, to sycn mach an control?

Start postion is in gram,always i think.,for example,where hole would be for ur circle ur wanting to mil.

once more,you are perhaps overthinking it, fill in the blanks like they were answers to SIMPLE questions mach is asking.

AND!!! cut air until ur sure, consider it a game,u will have more fun.
Good Luck,you will be fine.
Gw

ps, eg mostly shut up? i doubt that
Greg White-

I tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full. My concern is that I might make a mistake and overtravel this machine, here is how;

During initial start up the machine calls to reference all axes. If you watch the screen pay particular of close attention to your positions when you toggle each reference axis and note those new numbers. They will be as follows...

X:+13.00
Y:+14.00
Z:0

At this point the table is positioned at the end of the Y travel (table is as as far away from the column as possible, close to the operator) and centered on the x-axis. Z is retracted all the way into the column.

Now, If I jog to where I want my new program zero to be, lets say the center of this 4.00" diameter bar and Z is retracted all the way, and I change those reference points per the procedure in the manual, my new position changes all axes to zero.

I guess my first question is what the heck is the point of referencing the 3 axes in the beginning if you have the freedom to change it a immediately after? If I have this right, anyone could easily program this thing to over travel in both X and Y. Of course, it does have limit switches, but I want to be sure my thought process on this part set up is correct before I push go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I suggest you ignore the machine books for now and get some generic ones that start with "understanding CNC 101". If you don't understand how or why a machine needs referenced on startup, that is the first issue. Then we have fixture offsets which are defined positions away from the reference point.

To be honest, the DIY community might do a better job of taking the time to teach the basics of CNC.

Dynapath has an unusual language so it can come off a bit strange to some. If you don't have the basics, none of it will sink in.

I understand referencing the machine axes during start up. The way Dyanapth has this set up must be a homing location as it sets the table at the end of the Y ways for loading/unloading.

I suppose what I need clarification on is how the start up procedure references correlate to the part zero.

Again, when I complete the start up axes reference procedure I can watch the positions for each change, making Y:+14.00 with the table at the end of the box ways toward the operator. So, this would tell me that Y:0 would put my table all the way against the column, farthest away from the operator.

The machine must consider part zero and reference zero independent of each other?

Again, I am not saying to be rude or insulting but the questions you are asking are answered the the elementary edition of CNC books. It would help to understand all that first.

When a machine fires up with incremental encoders, it has zero idea where it is and any numbers in the display are useless. Once it runs down and bumps the homing switches, it will set itself and know where it is. That position can be called 'zero' or 594829.2389", it doesn't matter. The important thing is the machine is now counting from that point forward.

A part zero can be done several ways but easiest to understand with work offsets. In your case 'E'. Jog machine where ever you want 'E' zero to be and tell the control E zero is 'here'. The work offset cares NONE about what value you have for your reference zero, all it cares is the distance between them.

Go reference your machine, then jog to some location, go to your work offset page and set E1 to that location. Then jog off that location. Then go into your control MDI and tell it to go to E1 X0 Y0, and it will park itself where you told it. When you make a part, as long as you invoke E1 work offset, all work will be done relative to that position and totally ignore where the machine reference point is.

Again, I am not saying to be rude or insulting but the questions you are asking are answered the the elementary edition of CNC books. It would help to understand all that first.

When a machine fires up with incremental encoders, it has zero idea where it is and any numbers in the display are useless. Once it runs down and bumps the homing switches, it will set itself and know where it is. That position can be called 'zero' or 594829.2389", it doesn't matter. The important thing is the machine is now counting from that point forward.

A part zero can be done several ways but easiest to understand with work offsets. In your case 'E'. Jog machine where ever you want 'E' zero to be and tell the control E zero is 'here'. The work offset cares NONE about what value you have for your reference zero, all it cares is the distance between them.

Go reference your machine, then jog to some location, go to your work offset page and set E1 to that location. Then jog off that location. Then go into your control MDI and tell it to go to E1 X0 Y0, and it will park itself where you told it. When you make a part, as long as you invoke E1 work offset, all work will be done relative to that position and totally ignore where the machine reference point is.

I have thick skin, you won't hurt my feelings...just want to be sure I know how this thing works. Looking into the recommended literature.

You answered my initial question "how do the references correlate to a part zero"...the Part zero counts from that point on the reference in the background...this makes sense.

Initial home is syncing the emcoder to control. When homing the axis moves in a pre programmed direction until it finds a home in coder mark, it calls that mark home. And the control is pre programmed to know that when the emcoder hits home it is at +13,+14,0. If you did the homing procedure with the 3 axis in the wrong position it will think it's at above points and will crash. So you must home correctly. Now the machine always know where it is.

When you set zero or second home, whatever you want to call it. You are telling the machine where you want it to go. Maybe for tool changes, or part changes, quality inspections.

So they are independent of each other

I might have an older manual from tree and dynapath that has a lot of good information in it. If you would like I can try to find them and scan/e-mail it you.

The manual might only be for the 10 series control but most of the features are the same with the 20 having a few added things.

Let me know

I have a small machining center with a Dynapath Delta 20 control on it. I'm far from an expert on it but can possibly help you some. When I took a cnc class in the mid 80's the start point was called the origin point. That is machine X0 Y0 Z0. From there you have work offsets. You don't want to have to pick up your work offsets every time you start up the machine so you origin the machine and the work offsets will always be where you set them relative to your origin point. You also have tool offsets so the Z axis knows where your tools are relative to Z0.

That control isn't the easiest to learn but it is learnable. I have a book that covers the control but I'm away from home for the winter and can't access it. Greg White was big help in getting me and my machine to work together. Also, the Dynapath people can answer questions if you are polite with them and don't pester them too much.

You can also use cam programs to drip feed your machine and bypass most of the control. I know a guy that uses mastercam to program his machine and drip feeds the tool path. Best of luck getting it going.

Back