What's new
What's new

Tree Journeyman 300 manual and documentation

happycricket

Plastic
Hey everybody I just acquired a Tree J300 with a dead controller. I would like to retrofit/upgrade to a MESA ELECTRONICS controller and linuxcnc. The person I purchased the mill from was supposed to send me the manuals and documentation but has failed to get them to me. I need as much electrical/electronic information as possible about the machine before I start modifying anything, I don't want to break anything I can't fix or can't fix cheaply.

Would anyone be willing to help me out with the manual and electrical information for a Tree J300?

I knows its rude or poor form to ask without having given. But what I plan to do is make a detailed how to that will hopefully be useful for others Tree owners or owners of similar machines.

Things I maybe able to help others with Im competent in machining, good at programing python, C++ and others, competent with Linux, competent at building and programming robots, good at building scientific test equipment, my day job and others let me know if I can help!

What control does it have. Depending on what all you have I might have some stuff that would help. I've got different prints from 310's and 325's, I used them to piece together my wiring diagram for my machine since none were the exact one, but between all of them I was able to find all the right sections. I've got other stuff servo drive, egg servo card, manuals etc.
zps has many of the prints and are kind enough to email them to me, and dynapath has machine kit prints on there website.

I'm keeping an eye out for parts etc. for my machine. If there is control stuff you don't need after you finish your retro fit I might be interested I some of it.

What control do you have? If it is a Dynapath why not just repair it? Dynapath is still in business and has parts and service. You will be hard pressed to improve on their control not to mention the fact that you will end up with a bastard machine with no resale value.

Thanks for the replies.

Trying to keep it short I ommited to full back story. But the controller is gone after the previous previous owner killed the controller then the mill was sold to previous owner. He did a retrofit got rid of anything dynapath. Kinda odd but he kill the retro fit controller and took out the retrofit except a Galil daughter board before he sold it to me. The servo drives and encoders are there. So it doesn't make sense to go back to an older controller that has some limitations to functionality. From what I've seen the dynapth stuff the was original to this machine was a bit slow and had issues with radiuses at speed. Plus it would be fun to install an encoder to to track angular position of the spindle for rigid tapping.

It would be bastard in a sense and I'm not to worried about resale value. I'm pretty sure I can get out what I have into to at least break even. I am confident that once I get it running well and documented prospective buyers ,if that day ever came, would be comfortable buying it. The key here is to do a professional job and document, document, document!!!

Anyway I ended up just purchasing the factory manual off eBay, it's pretty long and detailed. I can make a PDF of the whole manual pretty easy and I don think any one would care because Tree no longer exists. Is there any one that would want the file? And if so is there a repository or method people are comfortable with on how to share the file? Let me know if I can help.

Once I get the machine sorted I will see what parts are left over and see if they are of any use to people here.

Back