What's new
What's new

Tree Journeyman 325 retrofit: Figuring out spindle wiring

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I picked up a bare J325 and the wires were cut at the base leading into the column so now I'm having to figure out the wiring. Everything else was stripped except the spindle motor and the components to traverse the axis. Basically all I need to do is install new hardware and axis motors.

Looking into the spindle cable sealtite, I think I've managed to isolate the wires based on the schematic. 2 of the 5 black wires were a different gauge so I'm assuming those are the fan cables (28, 29) and the other 3 black wires were another gauge so I assume those are the motor wires (25, 26, 27). All the wires connect into the motor in a single, multipin connector so I can't separate them.

I'm wondering if the fan can run on single phase 240? I'm using a 10HP 3ph Hitachi VFD that I'll derate so I can power the machine on single phase. I can't find info on the original Yaskawa spindle drive so I don't know if there's anything special going on with the fan.

Also, I see the pulse generator wiring. Were these machines capable of rigid tapping? I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly but can I reuse those wires for spindle feedback? I'm using a UCCNC UC300ETH multifunction board and it has encoder inputs but the wiring on the Tree schematic is a little deceiving. I just registered on the CNCDrive (UCCNC) forum so I can ask more questions about their encoder inputs.

Thanks.

49721765_10100372640703053_7770896337381359616_n.jpg

To answer some of the questions, the cooling fan should be single phase AC 240V. There should also be a thermal overload switch.

These machines did not have rigid tapping. The spindle is belt drive and there is no encoder on the actual spindle. The motor encoder may have given feedback for the drive, but I have also seen them set up to run open loop. These machines used both Yaskawa and Fanuc drives. They function basically the same.

Back