Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Trionics Handyman CNC Serial Communication instead of Tape

Well I will start off with saying I am a new owner of a 1987 Tri-onics Handyman CNC Vertical Mill.
    I know almost any of these still running have had there old Centroid CNC3 control entirely gutted on behalf of
    something missing or blown, but mine is in perfect running condition (for now). I plan on retrofitting with new
    control board, drive boards, Steppers with encoders, and a laptop to run it all. But for now I am trying to stick
    with what still works. Now this machine came with a Magnetic Tape player for its external storage. this would plug
    into the screen up top via a 6pin plug. next to that port on the screen is a DB25 Connector with 3 wires going to
    the control boards RS-232 Ground, Tx, and Rx. The machine also came with a 20ft DB25 Cable that had adapters on
    each end, one being a Null Modem adapter. now I have searched the internet high and low and came across someone by
    the forum name of yaddatrance who listed the Serial Settings of 2400 7-E-1. I Have a PC with a 9 pin Serial which
    is adapted to the 25pin Null Modem Adapter and straight to the control box. With such dated tech, there is no
    information that explains how to put a machine like this into a receive mode. I can instruct it to load from tape
    but it asks for a two digit program number and then says press play on the tape player. This here is what I hope
    to be the final roadblock of sending some simple 2.5 Axis G-codes from my CAD/CAM software through a DNC and to
    this mill. Is there Anyone who could shed some light on anything related to this late 80's tech and how to start
    this communication? Thanks To Anyone Who took the time to read all that by the way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3155.jpg