What's new
What's new

Trivia - ER Collet who invented it? Don't Google it!

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
I found out recently who invented the ER collet and I thought that makes sense. I'll give you a hint they are a pretty big name now but I'll bet most of you don't buy or use this brand in your shop unless you are in a high tolerance / big $$$ shop. When they invented it it was originally called an E collet.

What's your guess?

I found out recently who invented the ER collet and I thought that makes sense. I'll give you a hint they are a pretty big name now but I'll bet most of you don't buy or use this brand in your shop unless you are in a high tolerance / big $$$ shop. When they invented it it was originally called an E collet.

What's your guess?

I imagine its RegoFix, that is the new brand you are hawking, yes?

Why not?
It's just SPAM that you're posting to hock your wares anyway.
And it seems like you should know the answer if you sell such things.

Ease up a little. Sure he sells products, but I don't see any harm in the trivia part of it...

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

On with the trivia - Who invented the twist drill? (And no, I don't sell them...)

Rego-Fix is correct. They called it the E collet. According to the Rego-Fix guy told me it was very successful (obviously since it is the most common collet by far today) when it came out in the 70's. However big time automotive customers weren't too confident that something wouldn't go wrong with a company with 50 employees located on the side of a mountain in Switzerland. So Rego-Fix added an R and sold or licensed the patent. I thought it was interesting.

Pm me with orders!!!!!! Lol.... nobody hocks Rego-Fix unless it falls off the back of a UPS truck and you see it on Ebay!

The original double taper E collet was by Schaublin.

scaublin.jpg

They became ER type when RegoFix added groove and nut with capture ring.

Schaublin calls the ER shape ESX, and claims 'special runout'.

EX are special runout without the RegoFix groove.

E derived from SK 'Steilkegel', which is basically the same as CAT 7/24 taper.

Back