What's new
What's new

Trouble with Acme threading on puma300

BobMachines

Plastic
Hello . First time using this forum. I am having chatter problems with acme threading on a puma 300. I am using g76 threading code, and material is 360 brass sometimes also 17-4, 410. I am having problems with chatter in threads. I am using s"plit bushings, and carmex tools. Anything above 3" long threads give me trouble. Has anyone had success with anti vibration bars for threading these deep acme threads. Generally it is from 6tpi to 3tpi, and sometimes I have to do dual lead. I know I need the right helical angle, and is even more important with dual leads. Im thinking of switching to Iscar, but want to hear what others use. Thanks

Might have to create your own threading program written out in full. In general, Acme threads need 3 cutting strategies if chatter becomes an issue: a front flank pass, then a rear flank pass, then a center pass. Too much tool contact with more than one surface creates the chatter tendency.

Or, use a tailstock support.

Doesn't the g76 create a compound in feed for threads? You have to enter the angle of insert in the program for this reason i thought. Does the step by step threading need a g32 code? Do I alternate between flanks each pass.

Hello . First time using this forum. I am having chatter problems with acme threading on a puma 300. I am using g76 threading code, and material is 360 brass sometimes also 17-4, 410. I am having problems with chatter in threads. I am using s"plit bushings, and carmex tools. Anything above 3" long threads give me trouble. Has anyone had success with anti vibration bars for threading these deep acme threads. Generally it is from 6tpi to 3tpi, and sometimes I have to do dual lead. I know I need the right helical angle, and is even more important with dual leads. Im thinking of switching to Iscar, but want to hear what others use. Thanks

The tool is only part of the equation. Your DOC is critical as is your RPM.

I am hoping you typed an extra zero by mistake for that spindle speed. If you didn't, then that's actually insane.

Back