What's new
What's new

Trouble drilling stainless 316 with an End Mill CNC Lathe

LukeGernon

Plastic
Attempting to machine a 11mm hole flat bottomed to 42.5mm deep, with a 7mm hole through, I am pecking down attempting to clear the swarf as it build but cutters snap at about 35mm deep, any ideas?

This is a 16mm diameter turned piece on a CNC lathe.

Predrill with a 10.5mm, highest tip angle you can find.

Sometimes when plunging an endmill it can "catch" on the sides of the hole and make a big mess since there is no back relief with an endmill. You can grind back the flutes on your endmill behind the tip to avoid this.

Regards.

Mike

How many? I would use a drill first then knock the bottom out with a 2 flute end mill.

Anyone still hand modify regular drills to flat bottom? I still do this and it is trouble free and I get consistent results. If I need really flat bottom I finish with a boring bar.

Flat bottom Allied spade is what I use . Plunging endmill can be a crapshoot in SS ,316 being bad , not even the "L" alloy . Same as Fred with borebar if perfect finish needed .

Bottom line is, that isn't the right tool for the job.

Drill it closer to size. Get more Boring Bars. Use a 2 flute Endmill. Make a Boring Bar. Flat a regular Drill.

Don't keep trying to paint a house with Hammer.

R

I fail to understand some of the issue.
Why not drill to 6.9 mm+, endmill semiflat, and finish with a boring bar.

You probably need a tiny boring bar for that depth, carbide, to get to the edge of the hole.
11 mm - 7 mm = 4 mm /2 = 2 mm == 8 mm boring bar 42 mm deep.

I have no idea if the finish can be done in one pass with boring.
My "feel" is 2 passes.
3 generic tools and 4 ops.
So what, no ?

Bottom line is, that isn't the right tool for the job.

Drill it closer to size. Get more Boring Bars. Use a 2 flute Endmill. Make a Boring Bar. Flat a regular Drill.

Don't keep trying to paint a house with Hammer.

R

I agree with this point of view. The Post title says it clearly.

If I posted a thread called" Can't mill a hole with this drill", I'd get bashed pretty good.

Another issue with the micro-boring is that its 42.5mm deep by 11mm D, so most standard tooling does not reach this kind of depth, well from looking in my tooling catalogs anyways.

Back