What's new
What's new

trumpf 240 CNC problem

ottoluck

Cast Iron
The sheet metal shop that I get most of my work from has a Trumpf 240 CNC Punching Center that he cannot get running. It has been checked out for most all problems and now comes down to big money. The shop owner is a personal friend and I am hoping to connect him to one or more of this groups many knowledgeable member's that may be able to help!. His next step is to replace a linear amplifier at the cost of $12,000. If thats not it the next part is $8,000, after that $10,000 and on and on with no guarantee!. He will be talking with a company that has spent $40,000 on one of there's and still has not got it running. If anyone has any idea's please post, leave a message or email me at [email protected] - with a number and good time to call-- Thank-You!!

Is he working with Trumpf support? I have worked with their Laser support guys and they are pretty good at helping diagnose over the phone, As long as he has someone capable at his end in order to do the neccessary checks.
M.

Yes, he is working with phone support and the company that has put out $40,000 so far had Trumpf Technicians there for 2 weeks straight with zero results!. He has a CNC Technician going over the press, but he does not have the electrical diagrams, which is somewhat troubleing. The Tech. went over the circuit boards and resoldered questionable connections and cleaned all of them. Though he is unable to totally test each board completely, it may come down to replacing them one at a time. Thanks for your input!!!

Tell him to order a full set of prints and manuals and hire a good local CNC technician. $40,000 and NOT RUNNING YET! Bet it winds up being a simple cable or senser. I think Trumpf has a law suite on there hands here. That's totally nut's. They are either trying to milk him or they are totally incompitent. I repair stuff and hate when I hear stories like this. Wish I was closer, I'd take a look at it, but ya gotta have the documentation. Without schematics it's like trying to find an address with out any road map. Sounds like he bought it used from a big corporation and they gotta make it good for him and Trumpf is hosing them. Can anybody here help this poor guy out with some documentation? Then he can hire an independent tech and get this machine fixed. Thanks for the heads up un Trumpf.

He bought the press used and has been using it for 6 years now. From what we hear Trumpf may be having this problem with these machines when they get older. The technician is a friend of mine, so he is not scamming, but you can only go so far without the schematics. All sensors and prox. swithes have been checked and cross checked. Wiring has been continuity tested, hyd. have been tested. It now comes down to replacing a $12,000 linear amplifier with no guarantee that it will solve the problem!. He does have the schematics and manual but does not have the "ladder". I was told the "ladder" goes into much more detail!. Also, Trumpf only stands behind you so much and then gives up and wants you to buy a new CNC!. Bummer..of a problem!!! Thanks For Your Thoughts...

[ 04-26-2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: ottoluck ]

Over here Trumpf is the Rolls Royce of punches.I know lots of companies who have stuck with Trumph for over thirty years.I find it strange that he has had Trumpf techies there for two weeks and they could not get it going.I find it even stranger that they don`t have access to the ladder diagrams.When we are talking about linear amplifiers the problem would seem to be in the axis drives and not the control and the first thing I would expect any experienced tech to do would be to isolate the drives from the control and test each axis individually.
regards,Mark.

Thanks Mark; My buddy's business is not the one who had techies there for 2 weeks, rather the company that has spendt the $40,000 was. My buddy is working with a friend of mine who is a techie, and he said he would have a better chance of fixing it if he had a "ladder". I was told only Trumpf has copies of the "ladder". I will be calling both guys up and telling them your idea on isolating the axis drives and testing them individually. Thanks For Your Input!!

Back