What's new
What's new

Tsugami NP 32 back turret doesn’t move with program code

Gossimer777

Plastic
I’m trying to resolve an issue I am having with a Tsugami NP32 dual turret Swiss CNC lathe that uses a Fanuc OTT-C controller. My main program code and sub program code executes on the readout screen but the back turret will not make a G01 move. The back turret is designated as myX2 axis. G00 moves execute OK in the sub program and the turret will make the programmed rapid feed move but it will not execute G01 moves. The only way I have been able to get the back turret to make a G01 move is to use the, “re-comp” function and change the X2 axis to Y1 axis and include the Y1 axis moves in the main program. However, using a Y1 axis call out will also not execute a G01 in the sub program just like an X2 axis call out. I spoke with an engineer at REM Sales/Tsugami USA and he told me when making a G01 move on the back turret and using the X2 axis call out in my sub program code, I also had to be in G98 (feed per minute) mode. I did what he suggested but got the same result on the back turret. My sub program code executes on the readout screen but the turret doesn’t move. As I mentioned in another thread, I have 35 years experience as a screw machine set up and repairman so that is my main area of expertise. On CNC's I am self taught and I have 6 years experience programming and setting up CNC lathes but only 2 axis lathes so, this issue with the Tsugami really has me stumped. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello I am glad you decided to post. Nothing wrong with asking for help.

This is just me but honestly I've not noticed very many conversations about swiss machines here.

This site has a search function, you might look for SwissPro and see if you can stumble across an old thread that may help you

If you don't get much feed back here don't get discouraged there are other places to ask questions such as this.

See N See ZONE dot COM I believe they have a Bobcad forum with some pretty sharp fellas answering questions. They may even have a forum for swiss machines.

There isn't nearly as much traffic over there as there is here so be patient.

I did not intend to insinuate that you were incompetent in the other thread. I know your in a bit of a pickle here and I wish you the very best. Good luck...

Brent

If using G99 spindle must be on otherwise it wont move.

Does it move in mdi?

Try flipping dry run switch on to see if it will move in auto. Make sure to be 70% feed thou.

I’m trying to resolve an issue I am having with a Tsugami NP32 dual turret Swiss CNC lathe that uses a Fanuc OTT-C controller. My main program code and sub program code executes on the readout screen but the back turret will not make a G01 move. The back turret is designated as myX2 axis. G00 moves execute OK in the sub program and the turret will make the programmed rapid feed move but it will not execute G01 moves.

The only way I have been able to get the back turret to make a G01 move is to use the, “re-comp” function and change the X2 axis to Y1 axis and include the Y1 axis moves in the main program. However, using a Y1 axis call out will also not execute a G01 in the sub program just like an X2 axis call out.

I spoke with an engineer at REM Sales/Tsugami USA and he told me when making a G01 move on the back turret and using the X2 axis call out in my sub program code, I also had to be in G98 (feed per minute) mode. I did what he suggested but got the same result on the back turret.

My sub program code executes on the readout screen but the turret doesn’t move.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have 35 years experience as a screw machine set up and repairman so that is my main area of expertise. On CNC's I am self taught and I have 6 years experience programming and setting up CNC lathes but only 2 axis lathes so, this issue with the Tsugami really has me stumped. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, we have your history.
How about the machine's history?
Have you been running this machine for a coons age, or did it just hit your floor?
Are the program(s) that you are trying to run new, or have these prog's been proven and ran several times by now?

If this is a new-to-you machine, are there any old programs in the control library that you could pull up and try?

BTW - the carriage return button is hiding underneath the ENTER button. FYI

EDIT:

It is not uncommon for dual path machines to allow running only the main path. This is likely on the premise of set-up, with no part in the sub. Or at least that's my guess... ???

There is likely a button that is switchable to allow dual path. But if you've been running this machine for some time - then I would think that you would already know this, so ??? But, maybe something happened to trip it to single path and you didn't know ???

Power failure?
Possibly cycling a wrong M code?
Just plain pushing too many soft keys?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Ox, the machine was purchased several months ago sight unseen by the owner of the company that I work for. I do not know for sure but I suspect the machine was in storage when purchased. I have never run this machine or any machines like it. No programs have ever been written for this machine or tested by anyone who works here. There are maybe a half dozen programs in the memory and none of them work (I have tried to run all of them). I have discussed the problem on this machine with our maintenance guy who has some CNC experience and he thinks its possible that someone in the past may have altered some of the parameter settings. If it is something to do with the parameter setting then that is beyond my experience. My first priority is to try to exhaust all the possibilities that I am capable of addressing so I am looking at the program code aspects first.

Does it move in mdi?

Try flipping dry run switch on to see if it will move in auto. Make sure to be 70% feed thou.

Yes the spindle is on. No it does not move in MDI. I will try the dry run switch. Thank you for the suggestion.

Can you post your program to look at?

Both the main and sub program?

Brian, I will try to post what I have on Monday (11-22-2015) but keep in mind they are just abbreviated, shortened process programs. Simple one tool moves to get familiar with the machine and to try to see if everything works correctly between the controller, the main & sub program and the mechanical side of the machine.

If you post some sample code, I will ask one of the guys who programs Swiss for us to look at it. I can read/edit a Swiss program, usually, but I can't write one from scratch.

Does it move in mdi?

I did try it with the dry run switch on and everything worked and the turret moved like it was supposed to. I turned the dry run switch back off and the back turret stopped working again.

I was going back through the posts and I would like to clarify.

The machines front turret X1 works fine in G99 with the spindle on. The rear turret Y1 (M241 recomp on) will not move in G99. This is all done in the main program, correct?

If you try G98 G1 Y1.0 F10. does it move then? With and with out spindle on (should not matter).

If it moves in G98 mode there must be a parameter turn off.

Let me know.

If it moves with G98 you could program in that mode for now.

Back