What's new
What's new

Tsune cold saws- good? bad?

Gobo

Titanium
We just got a Tsune cold saw delivered and set up. Damn thing is dirty fast and cuts very square and flat. So far. If you have used them, what has your experience been?

This may not help you as I don't have any direct experience with them, but if that cold saw is from these guys: Tsune America | About
then all I can say is that the local cutoff house here got maybe 5 of them.
Regardless of what they cut, they're insanely fast and deadly accurate!

Looks like a really first class piece of equipment.

We have a SOCO taiwanese manual cold saw that used to cut silky smooth through everything. I had a fully automatic version of this saw at a previous job and it was great too. Then the shop guerilla used it and broke three blades pushing it crazy hard. Now it chatters so bad we can't use it and man we have TRIED to fix it! We have measured and checked everything we can possibly think of, replaced all the bearings, worm and worm gear, sent the motor out for testing on a sophisticated motor testing machine. Sharpened blades, bought new blades from a different supplier. Nothing has improved it.

We are used to bandsaws, this thing is bad-ass. 19 seconds for 3 inch round 1018. Very nice, very flat (.002) . But if you want to cut aluminum, too bad. At 300 RPM, it is just too slow. So far, we are loving it.

300 rpm is crazy fast for a ferrous cold saw. Mine goes 45rpm.

those Tsunes look like very nice saws.
Fully auto, enclosures to keep the coolant from getting all over everything.

My guess on Gary Lucas' cold saw is check the vises- it sounds like the casting may be cracked, and the clamping is no longer aligned. If the material is getting clamped at an angle, or one side of the vise isnt clamping tight, the part will wiggle during cutting- which seems like the blade is chattering, but its actually the stock you are cutting thats chattering. I have seen that happen, and its really hard to spot when you keep looking at the saw blade rather than the vise.

Interesting thought. I had the vise completely apart and replaced all the seals and such and it was in excellent shape. That was of course BEFORE the gorilla got on it!

We are used to bandsaws, this thing is bad-ass. 19 seconds for 3 inch round 1018. Very nice, very flat (.002) . But if you want to cut aluminum, too bad. At 300 RPM, it is just too slow. So far, we are loving it.

I reserve my cold saw cutting for cuts that really matter: generally will not be machined again. And for that reason, I don't mind that it is too slow for aluminum. It will cut aluminum at least as fast as it will cut steel. Maybe not as fast as possible, but when cut quality is important...

I reserve my cold saw cutting for cuts that really matter: generally will not be machined again. And for that reason, I don't mind that it is too slow for aluminum. It will cut aluminum at least as fast as it will cut steel. Maybe not as fast as possible, but when cut quality is important...

Our saw shop feeds almost 40 CNC machines, so it is very much cycle time driven.

I was misinformed about cutting aluminum. It eats it up. This machine uses an MQL system, the material comes off warm, but without the mess associated with flood coolant. So far, the only thing undesirable is the length of the drop, about 8 inches.

do you know how much this saw cost?
I am guessing $30k or more, depending on size, but I could be wildly off...
But probably not high.

My manual saw, which I paid a grand for used, is now well over $6k new.
Never seen a fully automatic under $20k, even 20 years ago.

do you know how much this saw cost?
I am guessing $30k or more, depending on size, but I could be wildly off...
But probably not high.

My manual saw, which I paid a grand for used, is now well over $6k new.
Never seen a fully automatic under $20k, even 20 years ago.

You might want to sit down. $200,000 will buy one. Considering that it reduces cut time by around 90%, if you have the work, it is money well spent.

We just got a Tsune cold saw delivered and set up. Damn thing is dirty fast and cuts very square and flat. So far. If you have used them, what has your experience been?
Hey We Got A Tsune Saw Model TK5M-150GL.Saw Is Great And Fast But The Problem We Hade Was The Clamping The Round Brass Rod.The Tsune Tech. Told Me That The Clamp Proxy. Switch Still Had To Be Made When Un-Clamped,Crazy Right And I Couldn't Get The Program From Them.So I Wrote My Own Program And Install A Micrologix So I Could Latch The Proxy Switch On. Now The Saw Works Great Better Then When It Was New No More Adjusting The Proxy. Switch.

Back