Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You misunderstood, .125 radial .250 diameter.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolmaker96 View Post
    As others have said, go deeper on your depth of cut, if your setup will allow.

However, I think another issue is your max allowable RPM. Not saying it is not justified, but the problem is that you are rubbing the crap out of the insert as you get toward center & your SFM is going through the floor.
    Thanks for everyone helping me out on this, I can absolutely hear/feel the insert rubbing badly when it gets close to the center but I am slightly terrified to up my max rpm with a massive chunk of D2 being held on with a jig plate. Maybe(probably) I am being to hesitant with that...

When I try to up my DOC sometimes I get a tool overload alarm, it says I can change the setting for that but again I'm unsure how hard I can run the machine...call me a newb...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FleetFarmer View Post
    Thanks for everyone helping me out on this, I can absolutely hear/feel the insert rubbing badly when it gets close to the center but I am slightly terrified to up my max rpm with a massive chunk of D2 being held on with a jig plate. Maybe(probably) I am being to hesitant with that...

When I try to up my DOC sometimes I get a tool overload alarm, it says I can change the setting for that but again I'm unsure how hard I can run the machine...call me a newb...
    Are you using a tailstock?
    Does your lathe have a low gear?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, 1st post from a self taught CNC Lathe operator...

I run a Haas SL30 Lathe, I need to turn a bunch of patterns from 18" D2 steel(4" thick) and it is taking me so long it is TORTURE...
    Since I am self taught I never really learned how fast to turn parts or how hard I can run my machine.

I have my RPM(CSS) set at 415 and a max spindle RPM of 600. This is where im unsure because my chuck is only 12" so I need to use a jig plate to hold large parts and I am afraid if I turn at high RPMs that the part may come loose.

I currently have my depth of cut at .05 and my feed set at .01 IPR. I use CNMG 432 inserts. I usually have to change my insert every hour or so, is that too long?

I work in a job shop that does all prototype work, no production.

Please give me some tips
    First off, I applaud you taking safety into consideration. As a former Applications Engineer and Training Coordinator, I've seen plenty of instances where people just cranked 'er up and ..... well, we know what happens.

Your SFM sounds about right, and your Feed sounds ok. Your DOC is good too.

Your tool life sounds ok BUT, you may want to check with your carbide guy as you may be able to get a bit more aggressive with the right tooling. A phone call to Kennametal or Sandvik may prove to be time well spent.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a different model Haas lathe. On mine, you can set the spindle overload limit for each tool. If you press the Current Commands button and then page down through the screens, you should find one for setting these values. Someone might have already put a low value in there for the tool you're using which might be limiting the cut you can take.

6. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The LNMX we were using on 4140 PH. Both on OD/face tools and boring bars. No problem breaking a chip, sounded like nickels hitting the door. This was an SL series to not be mistaken, don't know how the ST stacks up. (OP is SL...?)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    2006 era did have low gear, don't know what vintage OP has though...?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my example, we often ran into the yellow, and squeaked into the red on every cut. Probably want to set at zero to figure out what machine will and won't do

10. Likes wmpy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    My lathe has been in low gear ever since I started, the guy who worked before me said "NEVER USE HIGH GEAR"...so I dont know if it has something to do with the fact that we only turn large parts? Maybe has nothing to do with that...I just figured he knew what he was talking about.

And I am not using the tail stock.

Again thanks so much for your comments