What's new
What's new

Turning Delrin / Acetel - Recommendation

Jashley73

Titanium
So I had to do a quick turning job yesterday in some Delrin / Acetel plastic. Grabbed an insert we use a lot of in the shop - Iscar WNMG331-WF-IC907.

Just sharing some unusual success with chip-breaking in plastic material, hoping it will help someone else. If you have to turn some/a lot /frequently in this Delrin/Acetel plastic, pick up some of these Iscar inserts in the WF chip-breaker. Even taking a .010"/side finish cut, It still produced excellent, broken chips.

Pictures for proof. Not a stringer anywhere... Amazing performance. (Also, no affiliation with Iscar either...)

Delrin 1.jpg

It's delrin, one of the easiest materials to break a chip in next to cast iron.
Use those inserts on Nylon or UHMW and let us know how they break a chip :D

Edit: I didn't intend my reply to come off as snarky, even though it reads like that.

Last edited:
EVERYTHING in the world should be made out of Delrin. It would make my job so Easy.

If it needs to be stonger, 2024.

If it needs to be stronger still 17-4 at an H1150..

No other materials are needed to have a functioning world.

Aren't you glad I'm not an engineering professor??

I run about 400-500 lin ft black acetal bars through my lathe every month. Raises hell with my tooling. I get maybe only 10-15 years before I need to flip the chip. But not really cuz I really don't remember when I last flipped one. Nothing else runs on that machine.

Back