What's new
What's new

Turning on drip feed, parameter on fanuc control

cnczack

Aluminum
Ive got a 18-mc controller on a victor vcenter 105 and I wanted to drip feed to it. Ive had the run around with Fanuc on a call and they said I dont currently have drip feeding active? Ive contacted fanuc and victor about this back and forth and they are both telling me to call one or another and that I need to purchase a data server? As far as I can tell with the re-seller of the drip feed component, they have told me I just need to turn on the parameter for this. Does anyone know what parameters need to be turned on if any? This seem pretty simple as Ive ran some drip fed machines that were old as dirt at other shops

yes, that what my re-seller was telling me. I was actually considering this product which was suggested through the MC re-seller we use

LAN Connect - LAN to CNC - Shop Floor Automations

then this company said I need to check to see if I have drip feed capability. After circling around the MC reseller said I just need to turn either either a parameter or turn it to tape mode which

in this sight says to just change the punch code to 1 but is that really all you have to do?

https://desk.zoho.com/portal/factorywiz/en/kb/articles/fanuc-18i-configuration-document

The machine needs to be in tape mode

yes, thats what my re-seller was telling me. I was actually considering this product which was suggested through the MC re-seller we use

LAN Connect - LAN to CNC - Shop Floor Automations

then this company said I need to check to see if I have drip feed capability. After circling around the MC reseller said I just need to turn on either a parameter or turn it to tape mode which

in this site says to just change the punch code to 1 but is that really all you have to do?

I do see I have a "tape format" but when I enter 1 to turn it on, nothing happens

https://desk.zoho.com/portal/factorywiz/en/kb/articles/fanuc-18i-configuration-document

tape mode is on the operators panel the mode selector buttons or rotary switch example Tape-Memory-Edit-MDI-Jog-Handwheel-ZRN

I seem to remember reading in a Fanuc manual that in the event there is not a tape button or selector switch there is a parameter that can be set so when the machine is placed in memory mode it is actually in tape mode. I don't remember what manual it was or what other info there was, I just remember reading it and thinking it could come in handy if I was ever given a machine without tape mode.

Implementation of a Tape mode is done by the machine builder, not Fanuc. On older machines/controls this was commonly one of the selection on a mode select rotary switch. On the 16/18 series controls it was often not implemented on the mode select switch, but made a softkey or keeprelay. The machine builder when implementing it as a softkey could choose the label text. In addition to DNC, I have seen RMT and REMOTE used.

Essentially the requirement is that the PMC input signal, RMT, be turned on and any other mode input signal turned off. When a Tape mode on a rotary switch is used, the signals are handled physically by the switch. When a softkey or keeprelay are used to set RMT to on, logic in the PMC ladder program is used to turn off the other modes.

Implementation of a Tape mode is done by the machine builder, not Fanuc. On older machines/controls this was commonly one of the selection on a mode select rotary switch. On the 16/18 series controls it was often not implemented on the mode select switch, but made a softkey or keeprelay. The machine builder when implementing it as a softkey could choose the label text. In addition to DNC, I have seen RMT and REMOTE used.

Essentially the requirement is that the PMC input signal, RMT, be turned on and any other mode input signal turned off. When a Tape mode on a rotary switch is used, the signals are handled physically by the switch. When a softkey or keeprelay are used to set RMT to on, logic in the PMC ladder program is used to turn off the other modes.

Must have been a Seicos manual I was reading and not Fanuc.

I'm slowly trying to decipher Seicos DNC and data server options which is not easy since there are very few people around that know them well.

As another example of how the MTB manages things their own way. I have a late-ish 90's YCM Supermax 3 with Fanuc OMC. M51 turns on DNC and M50 shuts it off. Works good in conjunction with dnc4u transfer software.

As another example of how the MTB manages things their own way. I have a late-ish 90's YCM Supermax 3 with Fanuc OMC. M51 turns on DNC and M50 shuts it off. Works good in conjunction with dnc4u transfer software.

That's an interesting implementation! I've never seen RMT set by M code but I understand how it could be done. I'll have to try to remember this.

Looking at my param manual for a mori seiki sl-25sy, this section looks promising. I too would like to enable drip feed via parameter.
drip feed1.jpg

drip feed2.jpg

I don't know the 18 M control so this may not be useful.

On my OM the button for DNC is not labeled at all. It is in the Operation Select section of buttons under single block and dry run. I don't remember where I found that out, but to drip feed/DNC on my machine select Auto mode, push the unlabeled DNC button, cycle start and that gets the flashing LSK and I start the cycle from the computer feeding the machine. Works great, just drip fed a few hours ago this way.

Any chance you have an unlabeled button?

I don't know the 18 M control so this may not be useful.

On my OM the button for DNC is not labeled at all. It is in the Operation Select section of buttons under single block and dry run. I don't remember where I found that out, but to drip feed/DNC on my machine select Auto mode, push the unlabeled DNC button, cycle start and that gets the flashing LSK and I start the cycle from the computer feeding the machine. Works great, just drip fed a few hours ago this way.

Any chance you have an unlabeled button?

This^ was set up by the machine builder, not Fanuc. Won't be the same on other brands of machines regardless of which Fanuc model is fitted.

Just an update after figuring out the problem..

M70 turns drip feeding on (has to be in mdi)
then switch over to memory and hit the start button to drip feed.
M71 turns it off...

Took all of my resources to find this lol!

Just an update after figuring out the problem..

M70 turns drip feeding on (has to be in mdi)
then switch over to memory and hit the start button to drip feed.
M71 turns it off...

Took all of my resources to find this lol!

I think the M51 and M50 I mentioned previously for DNC on my YCM machine worked the same way. At least the instructions I got from YCM made me think so. I too just MDI'd the M51, ran my stuff, and MDI'd M50 when through. Can't say with certainty whether or not it would have worked in program.

Back