What's new
What's new

Turning forged 1045

christie628

Plastic
Hi everyone,

I've been having some tooling life issues turning a forged 1045 part . Using Kennametal CNMG431FN inserts to face this part ( Approx 3.8" dia) and its burning up / chipping the cutting edge .

Conditions: Flood coolant , Feed- 0.0066 In/Rev @ 1500 RPM , making 3 passes at 0.05" per pass .

I've tried slowing down to 0.0033 in/Rev and no change . Am taking to much at 0.05" per pass?

Any info is helpful .
Thank you

I would be feeding around .016/rev for roughing using constant surface speed, not 1500 RPM. Why would you face at a fixed speed? I'd be taking off around .100" per pass. Finish pass I'd spin it up and take off .01" at .007/rev

What's insert radius?

1045 machines fantastically.

Insert radius is .4MM , Also i'm not turning at 1500 fixed rpm that just were i start the pass rpm wise

Go with a larger TNR for sure............a 432 for sure but maybe even a 433.....................what grade?.........................Does the set up allow for a deeper cut? I'd take as much as posssible. One rough one finish? ...............also, there's forgings and then there's forgings..........are/were they annealed?

Grade KCP25B / These forgings are not annealed so they have hard spots. Average around 25-30RC on the hard spots

Larger nose radius and if you have one available, a tool holder with a positive lead angle. We use the 100 degree edge on our CNMG inserts for this kind of stuff.

We use the 100 degree edge on our CNMG inserts for this kind of stuff.

This right here.
Use the big leading edge, it's a different holder altogether but will help.
And you will be able to feed faster. It's akin to a high feed milling cutter. Also might want to try cutting dry to see if that helps with tool life on the hard crust.
Once you get past the crust you should be fine, no?

I sell probably 200-300 month of these to guys with job shops. Not sure I've run across a better steel insert in quite a while. Super thick medium temperature CVD coating and chip breaker with a wide sweet spot. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you some free samples.

ZCC CNMG432-PM YBC252

LATHE TOOL HOLDERS.jpg

Back