Turning over 40 x D parts - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, if you were puting some fancy rads in there, then I am out.
    But what I see there is strait cuts with chamfers.

I wanted to slave my Z2 to my Z1 once on a live tooling job, but wasn't able to on my machine.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    That's so when only tapers and plain turning is involved, but not so when all aspects of turning is involved, such as Circular Interpolation. In this regard, the whole package must be capable of Trajectory Interpolation across mixed axes, that is X for one spindle and Z for the other spindle.

There are many MTB that offer such machines. Mazak have a Twin Spindle (in various sizes) with at least two linear axes per spindle (basically a Left and Right Hand lathe joined together) with a function labeled Swiss Mode. In this Mode one spindle provides the Z axis and the other the X, with true interpolation across the two axes. This is not possible with simple electronic gearing that you're referring to.

Hello Ox,
    Its not all that simple. A lot of twin spindle, multi axes machines don't precisely know what each axis of one spindle is doing in relationship with each axis of the other spindle. Accordingly, without electronic gearing, or the capability of Trajectory Interpolation across typically unrelated axes, the best you could do is rely on timing between the two spindle axes to produce a result. Plain parallel turning would be possible, but anything past that is a fudge.

Regards,

Bill
    From the siemens manual

Axis types
    A coupled axis grouping can consist of any desired combinations of linear and rotary axes. A simulated axis can also be defined as a leading axis.Coupled-motion axes
    Up to two leading axes can be assigned simultaneously to a trailing axis. The assignment is made in different combinations of coupled axes.A coupled-motion axis can be programmed with the full range of available motion commands (G0, G1, G2, G3, etc.). The coupled axis not only traverses the independently defined paths, but also those derived from its leading axes on the basis of coupling factors.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I would try it too. Just don't get your hopes up, usually you need a certain software and hardware handshake. As the old guy pointed out. But there may be a way to get around it, if you are bound and determined to make it work. We have no idea what control you are using, that might clue us in on what will work and what won't.

But a Follow rest will be usable, and a Box Tool will too, regardless of the control and interface. Can't say if a Follow rest will solve your problem.

R
    Using newest fanuc control on a nakamuura time wt-II. Has twin spindle twin turret. Definitely going to look into this as it would save me quite a bit of trouble once I get it working effectively.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pcasanova View Post
    From the siemens manual

Axis types
    A coupled axis grouping can consist of any desired combinations of linear and rotary axes. A simulated axis can also be defined as a leading axis.Coupled-motion axes
    Up to two leading axes can be assigned simultaneously to a trailing axis. The assignment is made in different combinations of coupled axes.A coupled-motion axis can be programmed with the full range of available motion commands (G0, G1, G2, G3, etc.). The coupled axis not only traverses the independently defined paths, but also those derived from its leading axes on the basis of coupling factors.
    Very curious as to couple axes combinations. If you wouldn't mind, could you explain using an example from Siemens? I can always cross reference it. Would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tupper87 View Post
    Very curious as to couple axes combinations. If you wouldn't mind, could you explain using an example from Siemens? I can always cross reference it. Would be greatly appreciated.
    trailon.jpg

from the 840d programming manual