What's new
What's new

Turning with Rohm face driver

kla64

Aluminum
We are turning with rohm face driver, and have occasional runout problems on the drive center end up to .005 or so.. Others .001 or better..

Parts are about 3" dia x 16" LG.

Runout at the spring loaded center is good. We are putting plenty of tailstock pressure to it, and parts are not spinning.

Anyone out there with experience troubleshooting facedrivers?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One trick with these is that the very first entrance cut has to hard and fast. This a big key. No nice and gentle start. Hit it hard.
Otherwise they do not bite in good enough and walk. The spring loaded center does not have enough force to prevent this. It just backs out.
Also seen spring loaded loaded centers that indicate great in free state but have slop in the hole so do not center well if the part loaded off.
My experience is much small dia but about the same length and longer. (transmission shafts).
The second question is is the error seen always or with drivers used for a bit?
Bob

Its a #5 or #6 morse taper shank driver. The taper shank is in a straight shank sleeve. We are chucking the sleeve in soft jaws.

Can you adjust the pressure on the spring?
Can you replace the spring?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Its a #5 or #6 morse taper shank driver. The taper shank is in a straight shank sleeve. We are chucking the sleeve in soft jaws.

That's not what I meant. Is it the hydraulic pin type or the blade cup type? The latter need a square face, or it will deflect off-centre.

Back