What's new
What's new

End mill holder question

Thank you Tom. I'm tooling up a new machine and they have them listed separately.

The whistle notch shows less sizes and much more expensive but both look to hold end mills with a set screw.

weldon shank is more common term. some set screw tool holders the bore is off center a small amount to counter act set screw pressure pushing tool off center. they usually cost more and usually give less tool runout

Shame on kenametal for trying to coin that name..

Like DMF said weldon shank was a common term.
It means a screw to hold the tool and the whistle notch was/is a flat on the cutter or shank with a flat that is an angle most often 3 to 5* and angled so the tightening of the screw pulld the shane into the holder.

The Weldon shank was often flat(not angled) so it would hold well and the shoulder of the flat notch would keep the shank from sucking down.

whistle notch .. the angle kept the shank solid from moving up or down. Often a double set screw would be used..

Shame on kenametal for trying to coin that name..

Like DMF said weldon shank was a common term.
It means a screw to hold the tool and the whistle notch was/is a flat on the cutter or shank with a flat that is an angle most often 3 to 5* and angled so the tightening of the screw pulld the shane into the holder.

The Weldon shank was often flat(not angled) so it would hold well and the shoulder of the flat notch would keep the shank from sucking down.

whistle notch .. the angle kept the shank solid from moving up or down. Often a double set screw would be used..

I just looked WN-HSK Form A • Whistle Notch™ Adapters and it appears this set screw is on an angle. So, I guess they are two different things....

A weldon flat is like it's name implies a flat. A whistle notch has back taper to hold the tool in.

Edit looks like michiganbuck beat me to it.

weldon shank set screw is about .010" smaller than tool knotch. that is tool cannot move or slip very far. i have seen tools pushed into holder and have seen tools pull out of holder. that is a collet holder might have a set screw stop to prevent tool going pushed into holder put nothing to prevent pull out
usually better to have some sort of limits on how much a tool can move.

While we’re on the topic, does anyone have any actual experience supporting the practice of pulling the end mill “out” before final tightening of the set screw on em holders to take up any slop in the “right” direction? I’ve always done it that way and never really felt like I’ve had the time to stop doing it and see if it does, in fact, lead to more broken em’s.

While we’re on the topic, does anyone have any actual experience supporting the practice of pulling the end mill “out” before final tightening of the set screw on em holders to take up any slop in the “right” direction? I’ve always done it that way and never really felt like I’ve had the time to stop doing it and see if it does, in fact, lead to more broken em’s.

Never heard of that actually. Personally I have had very few endmills pull out but we use SK holders for serious roughing not bog standard ER.

More commonly for us is holders loosening due to harmonics.

I don't have any evidence, but I always pull the end mill out/away from holder for final tightening. My theory is if it moves, it will move up (away from part) not scrapping it (in theory). No experience with more breakage this way...:confused:

A weldon flat is like it's name implies a flat. A whistle notch has back taper to hold the tool in.

Edit looks like michiganbuck beat me to it.

Yes, but they are two different holders. Like I said, i can only imagine the whistle notch is more expensive, with about zero benefits IMO.

Well if you've got whistle notch endmills I guess you need the holder however, I don't think I've ever seen an endmill offered with a whistle notch and running a weldon flat tool in one would probably break the tool because of the point contact.

That's what we've always done, but since my guys like to bust the end mills off at the base of the shank from human error we'll never know if the end mill has pulled out or not.

I've seen whistle notch (named due to it's resemblance to steam whistle flow cutouts) holder mostly on automotive machining line tooling, which was frequently changed out during shifts. Not so much on more "job shop" applications.

Maybe CarbideBob can chime in, he's doubtless worked with these holders.

Whistle notch end mills are not very common, unlike Weldon flat ones. The only Whistle notch I ever used was to hold a Tapmatic tapper in their holder. The two are not the same and can't be mixed.

With not a flat angled or not the very hard tool shank would likely spin and damage the holder. Proper use was to to screw the set crazy tight so to not stress the tool or stress the holder.The double set screw was assurance that it would not come lose..We would have a vendor make end mill holders with two or three holding screw holes so when one would get backing washed out the other screw hole could be used.

Grinding a flat we would use a courser wheel so the surface would not be so great to help the screw stay in place.

Different knotches ground on the same endmill. These came from Boeing and are very custom. Have a ton from them. Don't seem to see many from small companies.

Weldon Flats:
20190404_131103.jpg

Whistle notch:
20190404_131141.jpg

Back