What's new
What's new

Turning a v-groove, Pinacho S94/Fagor 800T

nikoneer

Plastic
Anyone out there mastering conversational programming on this controller? We have this old lathe in our prototype workshop, bought cheap without much support available. I have most things under control, but I fail when trying to machine a V-groove like a belt pulley. I'm using my parting/grooving tool, and I cannot get either the profiling or the taper commands to work as I want. I receive Error 003 or 004 (depending on what parameters I fiddle around with) which are both Canned Cycle Parameters errors. I cannot create a "neck" on a shaft, straight grooves are ok as well as a profile with increasing diameter towards the chuck.

Anyone having a good example of how to deal with this? CAM/G-code is not an option, for different reasons...

Best regards from Sweden!

Skickat från min SM-A320FL via Tapatalk

I do work on fagor controlled lathe, both 8055 and 8065. I prefer the 8055, after a quick look to the 800T manual it looks like the 8055 with less feature in the conversational. That's include the grooving cycle with tapered walls....

I sometimes do some grooving with the profiling cycle, using it in facing mode. It works fine but you'll have to fiddle a bit with the parameters to obtain the desired result.

Yeah, I probably haven't fiddled enough yet... you don't have any example if how the correct parameters look on your system, do you?
Have you noticed any difference in what corner of the tool that is set up? I have calibrated for the RH corner to give accurate dimensions when parting, but this seems to mess things up if I try to machine to the left...

Sorry don't have any exemple right now, haven't done it since quite some times. From memory just put your profile and use a depth of cut of almost full insert width. For a 3mm insert I use 2.5mm.

I don't set my grooving/parting tool that way. Always on the left corner, the one on the side of the headstock (back working turret on my machine). In the tool page the insert width has to be indicated, the control will compensate for it. If I want to part a 50mm long part, the tool will part at Z-50 + the width of the insert. Very handy since I use different tool depending on the diameter of my part. Same for any cycle, the control will compensate for the insert width. And to be honest way easier to calibrate a grooving tool this way, same as a normal turning tool.

I take it you are only making one as a parting/grooving tool is a poor choice for a standard V-groove. You can get insert tools with 30 degree included angles on them right off the shelf. I no longer do, but I have made more V-groove pulleys than you can count. I don't understand why you don't just trig the thing out and hand code it. Of course I have never used a conversational control. Just Fanucs and Yasnacs with G-code.

I don't set my grooving/parting tool that way. Always on the left corner, the one on the side of the headstock (back working turret on my machine). In the tool page the insert width has to be indicated, the control will compensate for it. If I want to part a 50mm long part, the tool will part at Z-50 + the width of the insert.

Ok, there we have a difference. The tool table in the 800T does not include insert width. In the grooving cycle the insert width needs to be set, though. So there it will be compensated. Not sure if that changes anything.
One reason I chose the RH corner was also that I tried to make a chamfer on the part to be parted off, to break the burr. That failed when the LH corner was set, but worked with the RH. Might have been another method error that showed up in that way, though...

I take it you are only making one as a parting/grooving tool is a poor choice for a standard V-groove. You can get insert tools with 30 degree included angles on them right off the shelf. I no longer do, but I have made more V-groove pulleys than you can count. I don't understand why you don't just trig the thing out and hand code it. Of course I have never used a conversational control. Just Fanucs and Yasnacs with G-code.

You're right that this is a one-off, actually just for learning the system. However, even with better tools there is still something wrong with how I try to program this...
It would probably be quite easy to do with G-code, but it's been many years since I did anything in that "language"... the 800T cannot mix conversational and G-code, there is only one program place for ISO coded programs, and we don't have a CAM system... this machine we use for the odd adjustment or making of simple parts as on a normal manual lathe, we don't make any real money out of it so far so we keep investments to a minimum. But if I/we learn to master it that may change!

Thanks for all your input so far!

You're right that this is a one-off, actually just for learning the system. However, even with better tools there is still something wrong with how I try to program this...
It would probably be quite easy to do with G-code, but it's been many years since I did anything in that "language"... the 800T cannot mix conversational and G-code, there is only one program place for ISO coded programs, and we don't have a CAM system... this machine we use for the odd adjustment or making of simple parts as on a normal manual lathe, we don't make any real money out of it so far so we keep investments to a minimum. But if I/we learn to master it that may change!

Thanks for all your input so far!

Ok, then, I was almost going to ask your V-groove dimensions to see if I had something similar in the archives. No point to that now. I thought you were making a one off to repair a down machine for yourself or someone else, not that you were practicing. I guess my intuition is off today.

Problem solved! My memory failed me regarding making a simple profile without "necks", that must have been in a previous job because not even that worked now.
For anyone interested, the profiling cycle uses either 12 intersection points or 9 points plus radii. Any unused points in the end must have the same coordinates as the last used point, and I was sure I had set that correctly. However, when setting points and radii the last 3 points are not shown in the display (without changing display mode), and one of them of course had a different value. Correcting that made everything work! At least for now, I might run into more trouble ahead...

This controller is a bit like earlier versions of Creo/ProEngineer... if you do something wrong it just slaps you over the fingers and screams NO! [emoji37]

Back