Two computers on one dongle
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Two computers on one dongle

I have a program which runs with a USB security key (dongle). My colleage sitting next to me keeps unpluging the dongle to use it on his PC. This is realy frustrading and requires lots of fumbling under the desk. Is there any device out there that let us to run the program on two computers with only one dongle?

Any advice would be most welcome

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

its called a nethasp, and you have to pay extra for that....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sass, I had a similar problem with one of our USB dongles. A USB switch like this
    solved the problem nicely. Since only one computer at a time has access to the dongle,
    I don't see how a software vendor could complain as it's no different than
    physically moving the dongle, but without the wear and tear on a potentially
    expensive dongle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sass View Post
    I have a program which runs with a USB security key (dongle). My colleage sitting next to me keeps unpluging the dongle to use it on his PC. This is realy frustrading and requires lots of fumbling under the desk. Is there any device out there that let us to run the program on two computers with only one dongle?

Any advice would be most welcome
    just get a switchbox like they have for 2 cpu's to 1 keyboard, mouse and monitor

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, we have tried one of these USB switch boxes. The problem is as soon as one flick the switch the program on the other machine gets terminated. The software does not give warnning to save the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sass, I misunderstood your question. If you want to the software on two
    computers simultaneously, you're almost certainly running afoul of the software
    vendor's license. Sorry, no help here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sass View Post
    Thanks, we have tried one of these USB switch boxes. The problem is as soon as one flick the switch the program on the other machine gets terminated. The software does not give warnning to save the work.
    well ya its the same as pull the dongle out of one machine and putting it in the other, the link is broken.

even with a networked dongle for one seat of software you would have to shutdown the program pefore starting it on the other CPU.

buy another seat and network the dongle.

8. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to call BS on this!!! You mean to tell me that two people sitting next to one another, communication skills are so poor, that one cannot tell the other they need to use it!

I believe that you are trying to find a way to bypass the single user license agreement of the software. I don't believe you will get your answer here!

10. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get one computer for the software, and use screen sharing over the network to run it from other machines.

If you're running Macs (which I'm sure is highly likely) it's built in. Don't know about other OSs, but I'm sure there are third parth programs to do it. Still only one user at a time. But you only have one key.

How much is another key?

Chip

12. Likes Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We purchase the program 6 years ago. It costs us £1,200 for one seat. We could have purchased a second seat at that time for additional £600.00. We recently approached our vendor for purchasing another seat. We were told that we have to upgrade to the latest version and the cost including additional seat will be £3,400. Under current financial squeeze we can not afford this. To me this looks so unfair. Well, we have to manage with what we have got.

14. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have need of two programmers running simultaneously, how can you NOT afford a second seat?

Otherwise, the solution is pretty simple. Throw a couple USB extension cables onto each of the computers, so you have access without having to grub around behind the desk, and play nice together.

I'd suggest getting into the settings and getting it to autosave every 5 minutes or so, too, if you can't be convinced to play nice and communicate when you need the dongle. At least then, only the last 5 minutes of work is lost, when the co-worker pulls the plug on you.

Howzit go? If you need a tool and do not buy it, you will have paid for it, and you still don't have it. Something like that, anyway.
    Henry Ford, badly paraphrased, I think.

Cheers
    Trev

16. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually there is a super simple way to do this. 3 or 4 years ago at IMTS I bought a bunch of really cool file sharing devices from Ncomputing called an L230. They ran a couple hundred bucks. I'm pretty sure there is a newer version available currently.

Essentially it's a small black box that connects via an Ethernet port and has a place to plug in a keyboard, monitor and USB device. What it does is allow you to open a remote session on another computer.

You could have several computers on your network, but lets say for example that only one of them has Microsoft Office on it. ON that computer you can open several sessions of office and cut and paste between them at will. This device allows you to open one session on the main computer, and another from your remote system. I found that any software that allows you to open up multiple sessions will work as well. If you can open up your CAD/Cam software and have one project on your computer, then open up another session with another project, this will work just fine and eliminates the need to move the dongle around.

I use it to have all the programming data upstairs in an office, but still have the software available on the shop floor for edits, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The L230 device might in fact work. It would take a very creative interpretation of the EULA to believe this approach is somehow less inappropriate than simply obtaining a crack.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something like "on any given clock pulse, only one user is using the software"?

Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sass, there are products on the market that do the job you want to do. Just do Google search on "DONGLE SHARING". There are both software and hardware solutions available. I am not sure whether these are completely legal or not, but surely adapting any of these solutions is far less inappropriate than simply using a crack version.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J_Harrington View Post
    Sass, there are products on the market that do the job you want to do. Just do Google search on "DONGLE SHARING". There are both software and hardware solutions available. I am not sure whether these are completely legal or not, but surely adapting any of these solutions is far less inappropriate than simply using a crack version.
    no different than using a cracked version!
    1 seat of software = 1 computer running the software. PERIOD!

software is a tool and I bet if they had to buy endmills or other tooling to do their job they would spend the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    no different than using a cracked version!
    1 seat of software = 1 computer running the software. PERIOD!

software is a tool and I bet if they had to buy endmills or other tooling to do their job they would spend the money.
    I have to disagree with you. Sharing a dongle between two or more machines is not the same as using a crack software. It is far from it. As long as your license terms and condition allows you to install your software on muliple machine you should be ok to use either software or hardware solutions to share your dongle.

software and hardware solution are avalable from Fabula Tech, Sysnucleus, Belkin (network hub), SmarterX and Eltima are legal as they allow only one user to share the dongle at the time.

23. Likes solidworkscadman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J_Harrington View Post
    I have to disagree with you. Sharing a dongle between two or more machines is not the same as using a crack software. It is far from it. As long as your license terms and condition allows you to install your software on muliple machine you should be ok to use either software or hardware solutions to share your dongle.

software and hardware solution are avalable from Fabula Tech, Sysnucleus, Belkin (network hub), SmarterX and Eltima are legal as they allow only one user to share the dongle at the time.
    The OP wasn't interested in one person - two computers, as the initial post shows.

I am not sure whether these are completely legal or not, but surely adapting any of these solutions is far less inappropriate than simply using a crack version.
    The intent is entirely the same - more users than licenses.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dongle sharing device

Quote Originally Posted by doug6949 View Post
    The OP wasn't interested in one person - two computers, as the initial post shows.

The intent is entirely the same - more users than licenses.

Doug

HEY SASS, Just Google DONGLE SHARING and you get what you whant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Sass, Just Google DONGLE SHARING and you get what you whant.