What's new
What's new

Type 2 Anodizing Finishing Certification

Ewindward

Plastic
Sorry if this is a stupid question, searched and couldnt find anything. Im looking to find out what is on a finishing certification for type 2 anodizing. We typically dont deal with anodizing, but have a couple of jobs coming up that will require it. The customer requests a "finishing certification" document for this. I want to make sure I get the right paperwork for them. What imformation should be included on the certification (thickness, color, milspec, etc)? Thanks in advance guys.

I am pretty sure any anodizing service will provide a cert that your customer will find acceptable.

normally customer will specify thickness and color (not RAL btw, just "red", "blue", "black" etc) and maybe a specific seal they want, like "hot nickel acetate", "DI" (means boiling in DI water, no other chemicals), or even "not sealed" (that is more of a TypeIII thing), and then the customer may also want to request that this finish has to meet MIL-A-8625 for instance

that MIL standard doesn't talk about thickness, or particular shade of the dye etc, it basically specifies the quality of the work and that it will pass X hours of salt spray test, and that is because different alloys may need different minimum thickness to pass the same salt spray test

so asking for "certification" from the anodizing shop without specifying what they want certified is an oxymoron

and the most difficult thing to "certify" will be the resulting color of the part, that much is certain, because there are waaaaay too many things that may have significant effect on the particular shade the part will come out

there is a forum where a lot of these things are discussed in greater detail, but you sort of need to "know the field" to find the correct answer to your question, or formulate the question for the people there to give you a useful answer, its finishing(dot)com, no registration required there

Back