What's new
What's new

Type of thread for vise

Google Geradi, i think you will find its actually a rebadged one of there vices, they will list the thread on drawings, pretty sure its metric from memory some kinda acme - trapezoid thread form. as one of the options i was looking at for a job used one of thoes vices and we wanted to replace the std screw.

Theoretically, square is the best because it offers minimum friction against tightening.
Buttress can be used to give it more strength.

Lead screws on manual lathes are square threads because of the same reason. Buttress is not used in this case because power transmission in both directions is needed.

that looks like either a rebadged or ripoff Geradi

My Geradi appears to be 24mm OD 5mm Pitch acme.

Theoretically, square is the best because it offers minimum friction against tightening.
Buttress can be used to give it more strength.

Lead screws on manual lathes are square threads because of the same reason. Buttress is not used in this case because power transmission in both directions is needed.

????

Really? Square threads on what manual lathe produced in the last 100 years?

Yes these are fake Gerardi vices
Some are pretty ok...some are not..(I had real Gerardi's and fake ones in the past). And yes there is difference.
You can buy the fakes ones on Alibaba and they can laser logo anything on them if you want. That's what most companies do.

if that is a knock off its damn expensive, i just got a pair of that size from Gerardi for a lump less than that in the UK. i guess there might be inport taxes involved but still seams like a lot of money for a chenise knock off!

Anything made in Europe is gonna be a TR thread not acme, especially if the dimensions are metric.

That there are Taiwanese companies (Vertex) making those vices that are visually identical to the Gerardi. It's much more likely to be one of those. I don't think Gerardi license their designs to others.

Diesella is a well known European company in Sweden. I don't know about the licensing situation but the vise is functionally identical to a Gerardi, and it has the same thread. I know this because I have a Gerardi vise for my machine as well, only it's a bit smaller, and the thread is the same.

Anyway it seems a trapezoid thread.

Diesella is a well known European company in Sweden. I don't know about the licensing situation but the vise is functionally identical to a Gerardi, and it has the same thread. I know this because I have a Gerardi vise for my machine as well, only it's a bit smaller, and the thread is the same.

Anyway it seems a trapezoid thread.

Yes but it's a copy and doesn't have anything to do with licensing.
Based on the other stuff Diesella sells it's typical Chinese stuff (not necessarily bad). The other vices they sell are also from China. They are being sold under different names through Europe. Search on Alibaba and you see all the vices listed ;)

Back