Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK market VMCs

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hurco use there own control. I ran a poll on a face book group and they came out top by a mile for user friendliness.
    I spoke to blokes who have used a few different brands and they all said hurco were the best. That’s in the context of control and actual machine in terms or rigidity , precision, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    Hurco must be the only machine we didn’t get a quote for. Do they run their own control like haas or do you get it with the Siemens control?
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke.kerbey View Post
    Hurco use there own control. I ran a poll on a face book group and they came out top by a mile for user friendliness.
    I spoke to blokes who have used a few different brands and they all said hurco were the best. That’s in the context of control and actual machine in terms or rigidity , precision, etc.
    It's important to know what you are getting with a Hurco. They are a fairly generic Taiwanese frame with a nice control bolted on. You can get a similar machine from 10 different Taiwanese MTB's, but you pay a premium for the control.

Next, there are two levels / grades of machines that Hurco sell, in the case of VMC's these are the VM series and the VMX series. You get the same control on both, but the VM is a very lightweight economy machine. In the case of the VM series, the control premium probably makes the machine cost more than it's really worth compared to an equivalent Taiwanese machine with a generic Siemens or Fanuc control. The VMX series are much heavier more powerful machines and are in a different cost bracket where the premium you pay for the control makes much less difference.

This makes the VMX a better value proposition than the VM IMO.

3. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe we should look at the cost of a Hurco vmx, can't be many machines we haven't priced lately. I'm still a little concerned about the Hurco control, our other mill has Fidia control and I was thinking that the Siemens shopmill would be a good alternative but how easy is the Hurco to get used to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We got a quote today for a new Hurco VMX30Ti , they seem competitively priced and the specs look good but we are still not sure how the Hurco control compares to the Siemens 828d with the shopmill advanced programming feature?
    Is it better, worse or on a par.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    We want to be able to push through a 50mm Udrill or M30 tapping
    Didn't see this the first time around, but if that's your day to day work you should probably not be looking at basic 40 taper VMC's. None of them are going to have the spindle torque to do that effectively. They'll do it of course, but if you're going to be doing that every day for the life of the machine, you should be looking to 50 taper, especially if it's in anything beyond soft mild steel.

Make sure when you are comparing those machines that you see the torque curve graphs for each and every one of them, and pay no heed to whatever HP or KW they claim to have. Be careful also with the duty cycles on those graphs.

7. Likes Quattromike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s not going to be its daily chore but would have to be able to do it from time to time, we have the big mill which already does this work we just want to spread its work load and get something that can chew though all the smaller parts and leave it to concentrate on the bigger tasks.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thing is with these questions is that they are entirely subjective. It’s hard to recommend a machine for someone else who does different work in a different style as everyone has things they really favour over others.

For example I will be seldom cutting heavy and the majority of my work will be very quick programs of holes and simple 2D contours.

So what I favour most is literally a machine that I can set up and program a simple drilling/tapping cycle with the least button presses and least thought. And to never use that program again.

So for me, heidenhain does lots of fancy stuff and is sort of user friendly, but Siemens does the same with less info. So it’s out of hurco and Siemens controllers for me, knowing any machine it’s bolted too will be more then adequate for my needs.

So for controller wise, hurco or Siemens??? How do I choose?