What's new
What's new

UMC-750 Gen III is Here

gkoenig

Titanium
Haas finally brought the UMC 750 up to the Gen III design of the newer UMC 500 and 1000 offerings.

YouTube

Say what you will of Haas, but they obviously listen to customers. Some nice looking upgrades and that is a hell of a machine for the price. The SS version with what I think would be the standard options (15k spindle, chip conveyor, TSC) comes out to just under $190k.

The base UMC 750 starts at $131k, with rotary scales, TCPC/DWO, high speed machining, full probes, and the calibration kit.

Looks really nicely thought out! The second-op vise on the side of the trunnion is a really smart feature, not sure if they poached that from another MTB but it's a really nice idea!

Haas finally brought the UMC 750 up to the Gen III design of the newer UMC 500 and 1000 offerings.

YouTube

Say what you will of Haas, but they obviously listen to customers. Some nice looking upgrades and that is a hell of a machine for the price. The SS version with what I think would be the standard options (15k spindle, chip conveyor, TSC) comes out to just under $190k.

The base UMC 750 starts at $131k, with rotary scales, TCPC/DWO, high speed machining, full probes, and the calibration kit.
umc750.jpg

insane deal! i'm really liking our 500SS so far. a few things i wish were different (tool setter way too close to the table IMO, very easy to slip up when securing workholding/loading stock and damaging it), a few software things etc, but otherwise its been a badass tool for us so far!

Looks really nicely thought out! The second-op vise on the side of the trunnion is a really smart feature, not sure if they poached that from another MTB but it's a really nice idea!

i was super excited about that for our 500, but that machine just doesnt have enough Z for that to be useful. once you put a vice there, you only have like 1-2 inches with a standard 3.xx" gauge length holder. should be better on the 750

I can say from personal experience having a first gen UMC750 that those improvements are huge for everyday operation! Especially the door. Gawd that was a heavy bastard to open and close 30-40 times a day when you had short cycle times.

Seems to me the best improvement is the wider truck spacing on the saddle. Why they ever made the first one so damn narrow? Seems like such a huge design oversight. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand it won't have much resistance to twisting while subjected to cutting forces other than aluminum.

Taking relatively light cuts on mine in mild steel with 1/2" endmills, you can literally see the tool bouncing around in the cut in the X direction. I try to stick to 3/8" or less usually, but that's not always possible. Maybe my machine is worse than others? Don't know for sure, however the original saddle design is garbage.

Having said that, it is still one of my favorite machines in the shop. Really interested to see how the new one performs now.

My EC400 does pretty well. It seems the structure is more rigid than what the spindle itself can handle.

The rotary speeds are ridiculously slow. This is a massive limiting factor on these machines. 50deg/sec lol what a joke.

The rotary speeds are ridiculously slow. This is a massive limiting factor on these machines. 50deg/sec lol what a joke.

ya i wouldnt bother doing any simultaneous work with a non SS version. our UMC500SS is actually pretty dang quick doing simultaneous stuff.

"We upgraded to the next size linear guideways."

So, the new machines now have 45mm linear guides? Because 35mm is the standard for machines of that size...

45mm rails are definitely the way to go for maximum rigidity and cutting performance in that size machine!

Or, did the previous versions use 25mm rails (really wimpy), and now they've upgraded to 35mm??

At a minimum, they should have cast some angled reinforcement into the truck mounting areas there on the bottom of the column...

ToolCat

I've got the UMC500SS model open right now. XYZ rails are all 35mm according to this model, not sure if the 750 and up have different rails.

750 model should be available on the site also, just not sure if it'd be the newest updated one or not.

If you search for UMC 750 SS Gen III it will point you to the new one - the general page is showing the old one, they surely want to sell those off.

The non SS are extremely slow. Not sure why your counter argument to this was posting video of an SS machine??

did you see my post before this one?

standard is 50 deg/s, SS is 170. pretty easy to extrapolate the difference between the 2 using that data.

Stupid question, but it appears that your code is pretty large arcs, does it rotate at the same speed if it was a ton of tiny moves?

no arcs, look at the code on the screen, all xyzbc points. just good filtering/spacing in cam so as to not exceed the 1000bps limit.

Back