Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just my 2c but I tend to favor Fanuc for parts, uptime and the fact that they rarely change. I've programmed a lot of controls, Okuma, Acramatic, Mazak, Mitsu, Yasnac, GE, Hurco, Haas, Heidenhain, Siemens, PC based, etc. One thing that got me with PC based controls, if the Win version was out of date or the hardware too old, usually the control builder never planned for that and the proprietary hardware needed just won't work.

On Fanuc, sure the memory is expensive, but, plan correctly and watch your post processor settings and you can usually work with what they have. Yeah, I spent a ton on a Fanuc memory upgade, I was glad I did. In addition you can always run off the PCMCIA card or data server option.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL I love this conversation. We've got a saying in the shop now... "Because FANUC." But we have the same for "Because Brother" and "Because Hurco." It is the reply whenever someone points out something oddball or non-intuitive with a controller.

To the gentleman who bumped the thread, I do still have the spare. PM me if interested.

3. Likes NAST555 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    LOL I love this conversation. We've got a saying in the shop now... "Because FANUC." But we have the same for "Because Brother" and "Because Hurco." It is the reply whenever someone points out something oddball or non-intuitive with a controller.

To the gentleman who bumped the thread, I do still have the spare. PM me if interested.
    Im a bit of an outlier.
    Im a big fadal fan. Love the simplicity, ease of use, and inexpensive replacement cost for parts.

However, when it come down to tuning an axis for a specific operation, I grew up on Fanuc.
    Once you know the diag params to monitor, and the address of the params to change, you can dial in a shitty worn out machine to make good parts.

Sure you can do that with a fadal control, just not on the same level. without manually tuning the drives.
    On a Fanuc, its all done right on the control.

+-.0002" I'll take Fanuc all day long.
    Banging out "things" +-.002 any decent machine should be able to hold with the right technique.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I have 3 fanucs. I leave the programs in the controls. Calling up a program:

Memory mode

Oxxxx <down arrow>

Program is active.

Load a program from the card or cable:

Edit mode

Oxxxx <right softkey>
    <read>
    <exec>

Punch to card or cable:

Edit mode

Oxxxx <right softkey>
    <punch>
    <exec>
    Same on my Oi-TB powered lathe. Pretty straightforward, and I just send/receive programs via serial and then run from the control. Not really any difference in the number of button presses to do the same thing from my HAAS.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by npolanosky View Post
    ...Not really any difference in the number of button presses to do the same thing from my HAAS.
    Lol. That's exactly how I feel about it. Some people seem to love to bash on Fanuc and talk about how great Haas controls are.

I have both also, and in my view they are so close that the differences are barely noticeable. Mostly it just boils down to the different labels on the buttons, rather than the function.

The Zip drive thing- a friend of mine bought a couple new Doosans, and I think he was trying to use a Zip drive- also had to jump through a bunch of hoops.

A CF card is much easier to deal with, and you can go up to 2GB so program size isn't an issue- if you have to, you can run off the card. Plus being dependent on Zip drives- in any way- is a terrible idea, imo.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I seldom poster here. Maybe this is the wrong spot. But...

I am one of those garage guys. I wanted to further my engine machining to exploring the cnc world.
    I entered this buying a 1984 open cabinet dekker (leadwell) MCV. (Like 800.00 or something). Of course I powered it up all excited to see reality. haha The spindle drive was hurt. (FANUC 10ma).

VanC supplied LENT me a drive level schematic, after I had easily obtained a maintenance manual from ebay.
    For a home guy with limited electronic experience I brought this dinasuar to life with a couple of 10c. resistors, a $2.00 IC, and and easliy found IGBT. Old dinosaur worked like a charm at a whopping max rpm about 2800 LOL

I totally appreciate what the FANUC guys are saying....

NOW. The appearant "S" word!! hehe

Same story.... time goes by and a free EMCO 340 shows up. I'll save the headache and THREE YEAR learning curve on this little turn center ( BTW It is making excellent parts while I';m typing).

Siemens 810T
    Simply amazing what its flexibilty and capabilities are. The system SUCKS to figure out. Especially with the well renouned NO support.

So past opion; on to the treck.
    First, learning the electrical schematic was tough for me. But the layout is cool. Following the wire to the bit on paper, secluded as a single circuit helped me huge when I figured that out.
    I'm babbling to many who know how to work on this stuff much better. So I'll summarize. The machine was molested to dead state because the dc brushes had worn and been changed enough times that the spindle motor failed a meg horibbly.

The spindle drive was hurt. (Current regulator)
    The wiring was/is a ratnest from the previous people.
    X axis motor rewind because they had the brake in the wrong circuit, so this poor lathe turned through a locked brake.
    turret out of synch

and dumped parameters (LUCKY I GOT A PUNCH TAPE WIT MY SERIAL NUMBER!!!!)

Ok, What a SWEET little lathe. It rips for stuff that fits in there. Holds things with minimal adjustment. SCREW the .000001 claims. LOL It's as good as I set it up and repeats that well.
    I do watch clamping pressures. They fade after a few hours.
    I fully understand it, I can bring it to life in an from complete nothing in an hour, and be turning.
    Parts are hopes and e-bay. But I really haven't had to buy anything major. A CRU card was 400.00, and an I/O card for 40.00 cause the tailstock was on the wrong card in the back.

FANUC= Easier to bring alive (parts etc.)
    "OTHER"= Still a geat same era machine. That in my opinion earns 50x what that old DEKKER could chug along doing.

Hope I don't get slaughtered....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post

Load a program from the card or cable:

Edit mode

Oxxxx <right softkey>
    <read>
    <exec>
    I'm going to need some more help than this, because these steps simply do not work.

I spent maybe 15 minutes last night trying to load a program like you have outlined, here is the only way I can get a program off the USB and onto the control:

Edit
    Prog
    Custom 1
    NC PRG
    OPRT
    DIR
    F Input
    F Get
    F Name
    Exec
    Custom 1
    EZGI

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I spent maybe 15 minutes last night trying to load a program like you have outlined, here is the only way I can get a program off the USB and onto the control:
    I can't offer advice on USB transfer because I don't use it. I watched a Doosan USB instructional on youtube- it was not substantially different than what you do.

I know my buddy who bought the Doosans called me after he got the machines and asked me about it. I suggested he ditch the USB and use CF cards.

I said earlier they had a 2GB limit- it's actually 4GB. I bought 2 4GB CF cards from my local photo supply for about $18 ea, a couple PC card adapters from Amazon were about $10 ea. A USB memory card reader on the desktop finishes it out, total investment about $75. Had to reformat the cards for FAT16, but I left the partition size at 4GB and the control reads them just fine.

10. Likes DouglasJRizzo liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

s-l1600.jpg
    I fitted one these to my Fanuc OI-Mate-MB. Now I just run from a USB. It was cheap and simple to setup.

12. Likes DouglasJRizzo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rick-b View Post
    s-l1600.jpg
    I fitted one these to my Fanuc OI-Mate-MB. Now I just run from a USB. It was cheap and simple to setup.
    Where'd you find it?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    Where'd you find it?
    You can get'em on ebay.

DNC-TITAN. RS 232 To USB Reader Drip Feeder. | eBay

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    Where'd you find it?
    You can get it off ebay. I got mine direct from the manufacture which worked out cheaper and it made sure I got the latest version.
    Automatic Systems | dnc drip feed | bo truyen dnc

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting link and product. But, could this upload to a Fanuc 6M thru the tape port and run DNC?
    The website seems vague on this.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
    Interesting link and product. But, could this upload to a Fanuc 6M thru the tape port and run DNC?
    The website seems vague on this.
    Looks like they have done it. This picture shows one of their units on a 6M running a router.

http://static.ausys.vn/image/widget-...fae-origin.jpg

The ribbon cable on the bottom of the unit is typical of the parallel interface used on the tape reader.

Easy enough to e-mail them for info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm interested. Prices in the $250 range from what I see. We bought a Calmotion unit that would receive from our 6MB but would not send files to the control. Nothing other wrong with the unit as it worked fine both ways with our OTA lathe control.

It would be great if we could replace the previous setup which was a desktop sending through RS232.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Easy enough to e-mail them for info.
    Email sent. I will apprise thread with response.