What's new
What's new

[Unethical] marketing involving [at least one] forum member here

Generic Default

Aluminum
So I was checking out potential tools to buy in a few months, looking at SK tool holders in youtube videos. I came across this. It should be pretty obvious, watch the first 20 seconds.

It's supposed to be a side-by-side cutting comparison, but watch it a few times and you'll notice that the maritool holder is being fed at approximately 1.5 times the feedrate of the tool that doesn't break. Just to verify, I downloaded it, put the two video frames side by side and lined up the times so each cut started at the same frame. The Maritool one is definitely going 1.5 times faster than the Lyndex.

What bugs me is that it claims they're both being run at the same rate. Viewers are supposed to come to the conclusion that the Maritool holder breaks tools while their holders don't.

I know everyone in this industry claims their stuff is the best, but usually they don't falsely slander competitors to do it. BTW, I'm not associated with either/any tool mfg. Just saw it and felt obligated to point it out. Maybe I missed something obvious?

what up wit dis

I know everyone in this industry claims their stuff is the best, but usually they don't falsely slander competitors to do it.

It's NEVER a good idea to promote your own product by bad mouthing your competition.

OTOH if you state what's good about your product then let people check and compare for themselves. They have something to compare to so just hope that what you regard as being important is the same as what others think.

Well, that's a nice way for Nikken to make sure I never ever buy their stuff. One can't call it obvious, but after a few views- yea, the Maritool is being run a hell of a lot faster.

For fun, let's ask them about this in the YT comment section!

This should make Frank pretty happy (especially with all 400 views this video has). He's gotten big enough with such a better business model, he's starting to show up as a dip in the big guy's numbers enough for them to start with bullshit like this.

Generic default, no affiliation with the comp, ha!

You're accusing the poster of being affiliated with Maritool? Why would they be here shilling for Maritool when Frank Mari is an active poster on this site and has never been afraid to talk openly about his products (or any failures of his products) with anyone anytime?

That makes no sense.

Deception aside, that's truly bizarre. It's the first time I've ever seen a competitor named explicitly in such a comparison. "Competitor A" etc. is commonplace.

Seems much more likely that someone fucked up, as opposed to deliberately trashing Maritool.

I'm not quite sure what melting a tool down has to do with the holder the tool is in..
Maybe Lyndex thinks machinists are stupid.

Click through to YouTube and the next video up is "Maritool Factory Tour"... That's funny...

If we all report it to YouTube..

Right click on the three dots to right of the like / share.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what melting a tool down has to do with the holder the tool is in..
Maybe Lyndex thinks machinists are stupid.

Click through to YouTube and the next video up is "Maritool Factory Tour"... That's funny...

Bob, I thought so as well. However I started checking videos from lyndex and it appears to be legit. They started a few months back with these type videos on company A vs them. However there are several that name Mari-tool. I was gonna give them benefit of doubt till I saw that.

Hey guys. Yes I saw this video a month or two ago and was also surprised. I always like to take the high ground and not bad mouth my competition. It's just unethical and I never participate in that. In Lyndex's defense I wonder if the video was posted by an over aggressive salesman with access to their youtube account and maybe cooprorate doesnt even know about it.

This is not the first jab at me and certainly will not be the last. If you make a quality product, stand behind your product, and offer a fair price your customers will stand behind you.

Thanks guys for your support.

It's pretty obvious they are feeding the tool way harder in Maritool's holder. That's definitely some shady stuff. You know damn well corporate won't do anything about it either. I think calling them out in the comments section and giving it a thumbs down is a good idea.

Ok I would have to post my own tongue in cheek video response. A Grob or Hermle machining a complex part with Mari holder..and then a old trashed looking vertical rapiding a endmill into a crap drill press vice with a nikken holder. Over and over again.:fight:
Gary

It's pretty obvious they are feeding the tool way harder in Maritool's holder. That's definitely some shady stuff. You know damn well corporate won't do anything about it either. I think calling them out in the comments section and giving it a thumbs down is a good idea.

Also consider that it is likely that the purchasing agents buying the toolholders are not machinists and don't perceive the deception of the video. May their lies turn and bite them in the ass.

Guess I'm throwing this Lyndex 60 holder tooling package quote in the trash. Thanks Lyndex marketing for helping me narrow down my options.

Hey guys. Yes I saw this video a month or two ago and was also surprised. I always like to take the high ground and not bad mouth my competition. It's just unethical and I never participate in that. In Lyndex's defense I wonder if the video was posted by an over aggressive salesman with access to their youtube account and maybe cooprorate doesnt even know about it.
This is not the first jab at me and certainly will not be the last. If you make a quality product, stand behind your product, and offer a fair price your customers will stand behind you.
Thanks guys for your support.

You're a good egg, Frank. You guys and have certainly earned your business. That said, I cannot help but wonder if this is not someone that I have interacted with in the past, because ( as you are aware ) I have never been shy about the extensive side by side comparisons of your tool holders and the Nikkens that we own.** Not to mention how Maritool tool holders have either squarely kicked Nikken butt the vast majority of the time, and the very few times that they have not they have at the very least equaled them. Usually, I conclude the comparisons with the difference in cost and how it then becomes overwhelmingly apparent which is the better choice for anyone but a lackey.

( for those unfamiliar, we used to use the Japanese Nikkens almost exclusively until trying Maritool )

I noticed the note in MariTool's website, that dual contact tool holders are compatible with Big-Plus, but not licensed.

Is Nikken a licensed tool holder manufacturer for dual contact? What is the difference between being licensed, and not being licensed?

Back