What's new
What's new

Upgrade a discontinued CNC system on a Webb mill.

Temo

Plastic
Some time ago I posted as a last resort asking if anybody would know about a CNC system developed by Commico, nobody answer therefore I'm moving onto the next phase, recondition/upgrade the machine.

Long story short, machine is in a friends shop, I used that machine back in 2013-14, I was able to run very simple programs but the machine was not accurate at all, it was off by .050" something over an inch. I moved on to another job and now 8 yrs later I have the chance to buy the machine and I'm doing some research as to what I need to get and what can I use that is currently installed.

From my research it looks like I can use the servos, drives and ball screws, is this correct?

The servos motors are SEM type 30M4-59, one for each axis and the drives are Advanced Motion control.

Is there already a thread about a similar situation that I missed in my search on this site?

I've seen Flashcut and Machmotion products, is it better just scrap what I have (except the ball screws) and buy a whole set?

Thanks for the input.

Maybe another forum?
I like your motors and drives but then one needs a controller and software to make it a cnc.
The integration here not so easy.
Siemens so great but not low cost. Mach, Flash, Linixcnc need a learning curve or tradeoffs.
Outside integration source faster but expensive.
Unknown is your time vs money rate and understating of cnc and controls.
Bob

... I have the chance to buy the machine
I would say that's not a great idea.

You can buy an okay SL3 or something for less than what it will take you to even get the Webb to move the z axis an inch. The Mori is a good lathe, the control has parts available, you won't have to reinvent the wheel, life is hard enough without making it worse for yourself. There is nothing special or attractive about a Webb to justify all that work and even if you do make it sort-of run, it won't make you happy.

Some questions for the OP. Presumably the machine is a knee type. Is it a conversion to CNC or was it new as CNC?

You mention it being off by .050 per inch on X, was it random or was each inch accumulating the .050?

What are the numbers on the AMC amps?

I have done a few conversions using Linuxcnc, very flexible but there is a learning curve and help is all volunteer via the net. If you can follow basic wiring schematics it is not difficult.

A knee mill is about the most complicated machine most people would want to do.

Ed.

Take a look at centroid maybe that would be up your alley. Look at martyscncgarage on u tube he has done about every kind of retrofit you might run into. I believe the oak cnc controller will run ac or dc servos. But make sure the mill isn’t junk. ballscrews could be shot, thrust bearings , resolvers or encoders all need to be checked out or get ready to burn money for a machine that won’t ever have resale value. But if you like projects and it works for you enjoy the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, I saw the name and jumped to conclusions.

But it makes no difference. There's decent stuff out there for much less than retro-ing a p.o.s.

edit: for example. Took five minutes looking

MORI SEIKI VMC - heavy equipment - by owner - sale

Matsuura MC-500V - tools - by owner - sale

opposite corner of the country .... they're all over

Kitamura Mycenter - tools - by owner - sale

This is what I'm trying to figure; if its worth the time/money vs buying another one in working condition.

The AMC are Model 25A20T, and they are discontinued.

These are Analog input, DC 25Amp, 200Volt amps, don't know what the T suffix is. Probably running velocity mode. Mesa Electronics has a few different card combos that will interface easily.

Ed.

Back