What's new
What's new

USB for Fanuc CNC Machines

dadams

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

Im new to the page but I have found some useful information here so I figured I would register and ask this one.

I have Fanuc CNC machines with 20i software on them. We are currently using the memory cards to transfer files to the CNC because the machines don't have a lot of memory. We use drip feed for our larger programs. We are looking to replace the memory cards with USB drives as the cards and memory card readers are expensive to replace.

I have tried the Calmotion USB reader and this will not work for us at it will not read GOTO codes and will not read subprograms off of the USB like it does for the memory card. To expand, we load a main program with a bunch of logic checks in the program. Then we also have the sub programs for the parts loaded on the memory card as well and the CNC will go from the main program, search the memory card and find the sub programs needed and drip feed them from the memory card in the machine. It will then finish that program, jump back to the main program, do a Logic check, and find the next subprogram and run it off of the memory card, and so on.

Im looking for a device that is compatible with the Fanuc machines that will do the same thing but from a USB drive. Is this a thing yet? Im sure it is but my research led me to Calmotion but this device wont work for the above programs which is a large number of programs.

Thanks,
Dillin Adams

Fanuc will not allow DNC or drip feeding from USB. Only transfer to memory. You might want to look at a little known option on the Fanuc control. It allows any memory card to be used as if it is internal memory. It converts your program to binary format and runs it from the card. It allows for editing and saving. It also allows for macro calls, sub-program calls, all the good stuff that you get from running from internal memory. It uses a tool that runs from a PC that converts your programs to run with the internal Fanuc option. Unlike most Fanuc options, this one is extremely inexpensive, but I have no price. The program that runs on your PC is about $35 USD.

Paul

Least problematic option is to have the fast data server option installed on all the machines. Then you can move everything back and forth with ethernet via ftp and have everything on the data server. It's not cheap, but it works very well. If you have the ability to have a reliable network, you don't have to move anything directly to the machine, you can run it all over the network, the data server will buffer the program, very reliable. In fact that is how our machines are setup, although the network is local and only within the machine cabinet. PC based control. PC has fanuc viewing software to see the fanuc side of the control.

Hello Everyone,

Im new to the page but I have found some useful information here so I figured I would register and ask this one.

I have Fanuc CNC machines with 20i software on them. We are currently using the memory cards to transfer files to the CNC because the machines don't have a lot of memory. We use drip feed for our larger programs. We are looking to replace the memory cards with USB drives as the cards and memory card readers are expensive to replace.

I have tried the Calmotion USB reader and this will not work for us at it will not read GOTO codes and will not read subprograms off of the USB like it does for the memory card. To expand, we load a main program with a bunch of logic checks in the program. Then we also have the sub programs for the parts loaded on the memory card as well and the CNC will go from the main program, search the memory card and find the sub programs needed and drip feed them from the memory card in the machine. It will then finish that program, jump back to the main program, do a Logic check, and find the next subprogram and run it off of the memory card, and so on.

Im looking for a device that is compatible with the Fanuc machines that will do the same thing but from a USB drive. Is this a thing yet? Im sure it is but my research led me to Calmotion but this device wont work for the above programs which is a large number of programs.

Thanks,
Dillin Adams

Maybe by nixing the subs could solve your issues?

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/local-subroutines-fanuc-248851/

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

...I have tried the Calmotion USB reader and this will not work for us at it will not read GOTO codes and will not read subprograms off of the USB like it does for the memory card...

I second the motion for ethernet and a data server but it appears you are looking to do this as least expensive as possible.

I have no idea what size your sub programs are but you might be able drip feed a main program, which contains the vast majority of your data, from a Calmotion device then call your subs which reside in machine memory.

We tried a Calmotion unit a couple of years ago. It would read programs in memory from our 6MB but wouldn't send programs to the control. This same unit worked fine on our OTA lathe control but not on the mill. Calmotion was ok taking the unit back when we couldn't get it to work.

Back