What's new
What's new

used machinery dealers

lwm

Aluminum
Hi,
We're in the market to upgrade or add to our CNC lathe lineup. I've been watching used machines online for some time now, mostly on KD Capital. I have seen some really good pricing on Great American Equipment Company's website. I have heard some good feedback about KD Capital. Anybody have something good or bad to say about either one? We are located in Ontario, Canada.

Hi,
We're in the market to upgrade or add to our CNC lathe lineup. I've been watching used machines online for some time now, mostly on KD Capital.
I should change my company name to "Procyon Capital" so I also can create the illusion I am a leasing company selling machine tools that were repossessed at deep discount :rolleyes5:

I should change my company name to "Procyon Capital" so I also can create the illusion I am a leasing company selling machine tools that were repossessed at deep discount :rolleyes5:

You would also have to studiously avoid ever actually seeing the machines that you listed for sale.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

swarf rat, are you implying KD Capital doesn't have a good handle on what they're selling?

swarf rat, are you implying KD Capital doesn't have a good handle on what they're selling?

When I picked up my VMC back in March I discovered how intertwined the used machine market really is. A good many of the machines KD and other used dealers list are actually machines in the possession of other dealers. So they are really just brokering some of the inventory.

I spoke with a KD guy out of Arizona when I saw he had same VMC listed that I was just about to close a deal on with another dealer. It was a great conversation and an eye opening experience on how the used machine market works.

So in short. Nice guys but they may or may not have physical possession of the machine. Make sure you can have someone inspect the machine beforehand or have some sort of return policy. If they had a machine that I wanted--I'd personally give them a shot.

I have dealt with KD numerous times with plastic molding machines. I deal with a handful of brokers. KD have been straight and honest in all of my dealings (maybe 10-12 machines), I cannot say that about other brokers I have worked with.

They listed the machine I eventually bought, and had for sure never seen it. In fact quite a number of machine dealers listed it who had also never seen it. The strangest one was a dealer (forget their name, in L.A. somewhere) that offered this same machine to me for quite a bit less than the guys who owned it (which I had in the mean time discovered). The owners said they had never been contacted by that dealer, but it was not a surprise to them: apparently this happens frequently, a third party tries to get you interested at some price, then tries to see if he can get the owner to part with it for a little less. He has nothing invested save his time, a couple of phone calls and a hour and make $1000? It's kind of like the car salesman telling you "sure, $10K off, no problem" but then you have to go talk to the finance guy. They figure once they have your interest they are closer to a sale....

For sure arrange to see the machine before you buy. Even if it's not powered. The dents, the crud in the filters, the bent handles on the chuck key, empty lube reservoir etc., all tell a story about care and condition. The premises tell a story about the owner's or dealer's honesty. If you keep your eyes open, you learn a lot. I went to look at a lathe once in Phoenix, described by the actual shop owner as excellent condition. The cross slide ways were beat to a pulp by God knows what along with other issues - the lathe was scrap. But the owner in all honesty stood there and still said it was fine. He actually didn't even now what 'ways' were. He didn't know that the cross slide moved on them. Honest but ignorant - I would not have known if I had't visited.

I have dealt with KD numerous times with plastic molding machines. I deal with a handful of brokers. KD have been straight and honest in all of my dealings (maybe 10-12 machines), I cannot say that about other brokers I have worked with.
Ever asked them why they have such an inappropriate name ?

I've had them contact me about buying used plastics processing equipment that I've had for sale, and they seemed to have a clue. I'm having a hard time seeing why "K.D. Capital Equipment, LLC" is an inappropriate name for a used equipment dealer / broker?

What Jeff said, they sell capital equipment.
Looking at their website just now they sell nothing different from any used machinery dealer, with one exception....and that is, they do seem to put more emphasis on plastics machinery as a mainstay of what they sell. Many used machine tool dealers will have the occasional plastic injection mold and most plastics dealers will have the occasional machine tools. But KD seems to be playing both sides, thus "Capital Equipment" is somewhat justified....but without the "equipment" part sounds more like a leasing company.

Beware

Beware of KD Capital Equipment LLC. They are not honest in their dealings. They tell you they own the equipment they sell and even put it in writing but when a problem happens they lie and say they are only a broker. Their website says nothing about being a broker. It says they buy your equipment. We purchased a machine that we were told was in good running condition but after puchase and assembly there was no way this machine ran. We could not see it under power before purchase because it was in storage so we had to take their word for it. Guess what, they lied! and now will not stand behind it and make it right.

Beware of KD Capital Equipment LLC. They are not honest in their dealings. They tell you they own the equipment they sell and even put it in writing but when a problem happens they lie and say they are only a broker. Their website says nothing about being a broker. It says they buy your equipment. We purchased a machine that we were told was in good running condition but after puchase and assembly there was no way this machine ran. We could not see it under power before purchase because it was in storage so we had to take their word for it. Guess what, they lied! and now will not stand behind it and make it right.

That's why it's good to stick with one reputable dealer instead of using HGR-type places. I will also put in a good word for Vander Ziel Machinery Sales in Alto, MI (Grand Rapids area). They always go through each piece of equipment with a finetoothed comb and fix or replace anything broken. We bouht a press brake from them years ago that had a control issue. They brought out a loaner machine and let us use it for 1-2 months and at the same time worked with the technicians retrofitting a new control to our machine.
(FYI no connection or kickback here, just passing on our experiences.)

Looking at their website just now they sell nothing different from any used machinery dealer, with one exception....and that is, they do seem to put more emphasis on plastics machinery as a mainstay of what they sell. Many used machine tool dealers will have the occasional plastic injection mold and most plastics dealers will have the occasional machine tools. But KD seems to be playing both sides, thus "Capital Equipment" is somewhat justified....but without the "equipment" part sounds more like a leasing company.

"Peeps" I've dealt with seem OK both on financing side and on the machinery sales side.

But I try to do all my own "Home work" and vetting …

Like buying a horse ~ Buyer beware , Caveat Emptor.

It is what it is.

There are good machines out there, doesn't have much to do with KD Kapital equipment whether they are "good" or not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the machine comes from a reputable builder and the machine has not been trashed through making only one part for many years that's not really suitable for the machine (in the first place) then "One" might be in with a chance, inspection ball bar tests etc. all under power.

If the MTB / U.S. HQ are able to support the machine (come what may) then that's even better.

Lots of pretty decent Matsuuras floating around these days that are not too old.

On other second hand fronts more Makinos than usual but hard to know about spindle replacement costs etc. If a spindle is on it's last legs hence precipitating "Reason for sale ".

Back