What's new
What's new

Hobby CNC Cutting Fluid

Stephwallis13

Plastic
Looking for a cutting fluid for a Hobby CNC application. I may use the CNC 1-5 days a month on project. Mainly cut aluminum but also cut steel sometimes. I have used Rustlick Powerchip 2000 in the past and it messes my hands up.

Any suggestions?

Qualichem 251C worked well for me in intermittent applications. I haven’t had problems with it going “off.” The emulsion may break if it sits for a few weeks but just running the coolant pump seems to get it back into shape quickly. I know it can be had in 1 gal jugs if you have a small sump. Dilute to 8-10% for mixed metals, on the richer side if you’re form tapping. I don’t find it great for my skin but it’s not terrible either.

I think all hobby guys should stick with biodegradable and ones not dangerous the breath.

Like: (been discussed here before and locked)
1. Chainsaw bar oil
2. Diesel
2. Kero
4. Prestone
5. Cooking oil
6. Olive oil
7. Milk
8. ATF
9. Hydraulic oil
10. Tractor fluid
11. 303
12. Engine oil (new)
13. Engine oil (used)
14. Whale spooge

1. Chainsaw bar oil
2. Diesel
2. Kero
4. Prestone
5. Cooking oil
6. Olive oil
7. Milk
8. ATF
9. Hydraulic oil
10. Tractor fluid
11. 303
12. Engine oil (new)
13. Engine oil (used)
14. Whale spooge

You forgot a few.

15. Veggy oil (used)
16. Moly-Dee :)
17. Bear grease
18. Titan Gilroy's beloved BLASER........ :fight:

You forgot a few.

15. Veggy oil (used)
16. Moly-Dee :)
17. Bear grease
18. Titan Gilroy's beloved BLASER........ :fight:

If anyone makes fun of Moly-Dee, I will immediately report you to the moderators (if they even exist). Denigrating my beloved stink fluid is a probably a hate-crime.

Back when I was just starting out, I apprenticed in a shop that was literally surrounded by the offices of the bureaucrats that ran our little world. When they would piss off the old timer that ran the shop, he would set up a nice large diameter 304 stainless job in one of the lathes. Then run it at the upper end of the SFM range while liberally dousing it with Moly-Dee. It made the most wonderous cloud of thick, noxious smoke that would inundate the entire department. That beautiful stink would last for the entire day and cling to the cheap polyester suits that pencil pushers would wear.

Now if that isn't a fantastic hobby, I don't know what is.

E-206 is great for a machine like that ,,its a old school really hi oil base coolant that leaves a nice oil film on everything .. I used it for years and well it leaves a lot of oil on everything when it drys , it goes back into solution supper easy , and you well not get staining on alum parts from it ,,,

1. Chainsaw bar oil
2. Diesel
2. Kero
4. Prestone
5. Cooking oil
6. Olive oil
7. Milk
8. ATF
9. Hydraulic oil
10. Tractor fluid
11. 303
12. Engine oil (new)
13. Engine oil (used)
14. Whale spooge

Funny thing is I bet many of the these would actually work much better then you think for.

Funny thing is I bet many of the these would actually work much better then you think for.

Nope, if you would take time to read the archives (or what's left of them) many hours of debate has been wasted by Harry Homeshops on here, trying to save a buck, and kill their lungs in the process.

Back