What's new
What's new

Using a bar feeder strictly as a support. Feasible?

swarfmeister

Aluminum
So we have a new to us CNC lathe and boss wants to run 10 foot bars (mostly light stuff but up to 20 inch thick walled tubing). Planning on using a bar puller to advance stock so we started looking at new bar supports starting in the 5K area. Would it be feasible to buy an older, perhaps out of commission bar feeder and just use it strictly as a support? Caveats? Pitfalls? Anyone done this and have some war stories?

So we have a new to us CNC lathe and boss wants to run 10 foot bars (mostly light stuff but up to 20 inch thick walled tubing). Planning on using a bar puller to advance stock so we started looking at new bar supports starting in the 5K area. Would it be feasible to buy an older, perhaps out of commission bar feeder and just use it strictly as a support? Caveats? Pitfalls? Anyone done this and have some war stories?

Umm, no, I've never done that but I've heard plenty of horror stories. 3000 rpm and a 10 ft. by 0.5" dia. stock can get real ugly real quick. If things go south, just run! :leaving:

LOL! Our smallest job is currently 1/2 inch EMT and we run that part precut 1 off at 1500 rpm. The idea is to use the bar feeder strictly as a bar support, so stock whipping should be under control. We could even run it slower and do okay since we're eliminating a couple secondaries in the process.

There are barfeeders that will run a 12'bar, so I would expect you could use it as a support.
I don't anything about them since I've never run one.
I would just cut everything to 3' and keep it inside the spindle. Sure, you'll have more drops but matl is cheap.

LOL! Our smallest job is currently 1/2 inch EMT and we run that part precut 1 off at 1500 rpm. The idea is to use the bar feeder strictly as a bar support, so stock whipping should be under control. We could even run it slower and do okay since we're eliminating a couple secondaries in the process.

If you can tolerate a bit a rubbing on the outer end and go nice and slow you should be fine.
How long are your parts? If they are less than 6" I would do as stated above and cut them back to 3'. Just fewer things to go wrong.

Yes, you will be fine. Hell, you could use a PVC pipe strapped to a couple ladders for all that matters.

Check E-bay, the used single bar hydraulic fed ones go pretty cheep. I sold a working one on there for $250 a couple years back. It was only 25mm.

B&O has a business where they re-make W&S automatics (the 4AC is a brute) to thread the ends of pipe. Along with many more special machines

Shove a length in the end, thread it, and pull it back out.

Machine Builder & Precision Machine Shop | Bardons & Oliver
Look around at their bar feeders/holders.

BTW if you put a quick shot of "can foam" in the back end of the tubes, you don't
get coolant all over the shop.

BTW if you put a quick shot of "can foam" in the back end of the tubes, you don't
get coolant all over the shop.

On 1/2" or less holes I use those expanding foam ear plugs that look like small marshmallows and come a couple hundred to a box. On larger holes I have a rubber stopper collection from McMaster. I just put it in the end of the bar stock.

Depends on what style bar-feeder. Like the ratcheting type with the bar exposed? Fuck no. But if the bar is enclosed inside a tube it'll be fine, run it as fast as you want. It's going to be noisy!!! Building a pneumatic feeder is very easy, I've never understood why people don't build them.

Sorry I'm not understanding what "up to 20 inch thick tubing" means. Other than if it's literal, then you're going to need different equipment all together. There are also turret style feeders with different diameters in a single unit. Lots of money, I'd be skeptical about that.

R

The hydraulic ones that constantly bathe the stock in oil are pretty quiet, the only issue is the older ones are prone to leak. I have even had ones that spit oil when they were brand new.

I have about 15 bar feeders for up to 2 inch diameter. all of them are 12' long.

Sched. 40 pipe with a pvc liner. on my big machines I have 55 gallon drums with 2 bags of quick crete in each one with a stand coming out the center of the lid.

Very cheap and very usefull.

I made a pneumatic one on a 1.5" O.D. job. so the parts wouldnt get marked up on the O.D. when feeding out. Within 6 months Starrett did the same thing to a bunch of their machines. I guess their guys saw mine in action when they were by and word got around.

On 1/2" or less holes I use those expanding foam ear plugs that look like small marshmallows and come a couple hundred to a box. On larger holes I have a rubber stopper collection from McMaster. I just put it in the end of the bar stock.

...and the employees forget to save them from the scrap hopper....

Some good ideas in this post that I hadn't considered. Especially regarding coolant handling. Once again, thanks to all.

Well, I make plugs to beat in the end of larger tubes, and typically I drill solid when it comes to smaller holes anyway, so ...

Like Dual said, and what Dan said - if you are pulling, then you can just make up a stock stand like might be on a Brown and Sharpe or whatnot.
I have one that is built from 3-1/2" Sch 40 pipe with 3" PVC shoved down inside, and then setting on a pr of old Acme stack stands.
Another one that I have uses truck axles bolted to the wheels. (one with a tire on it)

Depending on how heavy your bar/tube is - you would want the stock tube to be similarly heavy(ier).
So - if you are running 1/2 emt, then a pc of 3/4 or 1" PVC with little to nothing holding it up in the air may be sufficient, but if you are running 2.5" OD x 1/2" wall DOM, then you may want to get some heavy steel tube involved, and line it with PVC for sounds porpoises.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back