What's new
What's new

Using CMD Extreme Pressure Lube #3 to keep tools from sticking in the spindle

laminar-flow

Stainless
I've tried several greases and CMD Extreme Pressure Lube #3 seems to work the best on my CAT 40 tools. Just keep everything clean and wipe a very thin layer of it on the spindle taper. Maintain as necessary. Seems to work very well.

I've tried several greases and CMD Extreme Pressure Lube #3 seems to work the best on my CAT 40 tools. Just keep everything clean and wipe a very thin layer of it on the spindle taper. Maintain as necessary. Seems to work very well.

Careful, Doug's gonna come along and call you a shill/spammer.

Careful, Doug's gonna come along and call you a shill/spammer.

Nope, I was gonna suggest the chuck grease sold at my local bearing house.
Might be easier to source/cheaper is all.

Good tip nonetheless, you always see toolholder sockets dry as a bone.

Is lubing the spindle taper something I should know about? Did I misread this? The reason for asking is I just purchased my first VMC.

Ed.

I'm not sure what is recommended by the manufacturers, but I can't see any reason not to have something between the hard steel spindle and the bit softer steel taper. The high pressure lube seems to be the best at letting the taper release. But I have only tried a few greases so there may be better stuff out there. Too thick of a layer would or could cause accuracy error though, so just a thin coating is all I use. What do some of the other CNC machine manufacturers recommend?

Back