What's new
What's new

Which vacuum pump for my table

allenp

Aluminum
Hi, I've bought vacuum table like this, only slightly bigger, around 400x300mm, but I don't have vacuum pump so I wonder which one would be good for aluminum plates 15-20mm in thickness and if there is some tutorial on how to connect this table to that pump, I mean, which things need to be looked after when you mount it to the table etc.

I've never used vac table before, only standard clamps and vices so this is all new to me.

You want the highest vacuum at a flow rate equal to or greater than your seals leak. How you plumb one depends on the pump and how well you have to protect it from ingesting coolant and chips. How are you sealing the parts to the table?

I use a venturi vacuum pump that pulls 28" using .5 cfm with a 10" x 15" table with no issues. Nice thing about these pumps is that they can pass coolant and minor chips without a problem, not so with other pumps.

The significant factors are 1) minimize the leakage, 2) use a pump with enough capacity to pump the system down quickly and overcome leakage but still hold the work piece and, 3) prevent contaminants (coolant and swarf) from getting into your pump.

Here's an inexpensive pump that you could try for low $$. New Vacuum Pump 1 Stage 3 0 CFM 1 4HP Rotary Vane Deep HVAC Tool AC R410A R134 | eBay

Regarding leakage, a lot depends on the specific configuration of your work piece and what you're trying to accomplish. Use neoprene sheets to cover any holes that your work piece doesn't. Your work piece must mate precisely with the vacuum table to minimize leakage. Can you use a very thin elastomer gasket (with holes) to seal the work piece?

To prevent contaminants from reaching the pump, get a pressure pot (at least 1 gallon) and plumb it so any contaminants go to the bottom of the pot and the vacuum side fitting is at the top of the pot (drawing clean air only, zero coolant). The pressure pot must be easily cleanable and have a visible level indicator (glass jar, sight glass, ???) so you know when to empty it. Put a secondary (dry)filter between the pot and the pump. Contaminants will destroy a pump quick so the filtering is of prime importance in a machine shop environment. If you're not going to use coolant/cutting oil, the danger is less so the filtering can be simplified.

You may want to set up a valve system that isolates the chuck (table) from the vacuum side before venting the chuck. That will allow the filter system and most of the plumbing to remain at low pressure while changing the work piece. You won't have to wait for the whole system to pump down from atmosphere.

Plumb in a vacuum gage close before the chuck so you know when it's ready to use and at the pump (and other places in your plumbing, depending on complexity) to help find leaks.

You probably see now that the filtering is a bigger deal ($$) than the pump and the table.

EDIT: Thanks to Sami's link, here's the section that includes filtering: http://www.gastmfg.com/vphb/vphb_s5.pdf

You want the highest vacuum at a flow rate equal to or greater than your seals leak. How you plumb one depends on the pump and how well you have to protect it from ingesting coolant and chips. How are you sealing the parts to the table?

I use a venturi vacuum pump that pulls 28" using .5 cfm with a 10" x 15" table with no issues. Nice thing about these pumps is that they can pass coolant and minor chips without a problem, not so with other pumps.

Hello. Pierson work holding makes a decent cheap one. They are out of simi valley.

Piab makes vacuum eductors that are multiple stage, very fast high volume evacuation combined with high end vacuum. They are very quiet too, unlike many vacuum pumps. If you already have compressed air and don't use vacuum fixtures continuously this is a good option.

Like DavidScott, we use the PIAB venturi pumps. This arrangement was the result of several years experimenting several years with mechanical pumps at the school of hard knocks. Very effective and able to swallow significant coolant. As a user, have a gage on the chuck side to make sure the vacuum is sufficient to hold your work. Flatness of the workpiece and chuck top are important to achieve adequate vacuum. I suggest hard stops at the edges of the chuck to bank your work against--nobody likes shrapnel.

Back