What's new
What's new

Video of Fanuc Robodrill - Need opinions on how it sounds

I button-monkeyed a couple of robodrills a few years back and don't remember the carousel making any clicking noise when it rotated. The Z axis rapid-ding up sounds like I remember but the carousel was pretty quiet. I can't offer any insight as to what may be wrong. I've never disassembled one. Hopefully it's something simple that can be adjusted.

I have a 1996 model and it makes a similar noise. (10 position tool changer)

I wonder why the machine in not at full rapid speed in the video.....

I have a 1996 model and it makes a similar noise. (10 position tool changer)

I wonder why the machine in not at full rapid speed in the video.....
In looking at other Robodrill videos on Youtube the carosel doesn't seem nearly as loud scraping sound as this one. Where does that noise come from exactly ?

Re rapids, yeah I specifically asked the owner to video rapids but they didn't. Also without a brief pan to the control to see the S number I have no proof of the spindle speeds I'm hearing either.

There is a gear on the spindle that engages the carosel to index it. That may out of adjustment or worn out. Fanuc recommends to grease this often.

There is a gear on the spindle that engages the carosel to index it. That may out of adjustment or worn out. Fanuc recommends to grease this often.
Interesting. On Youtube most sound much quieter but I did find this one that sounds even worse -

Robodrill T14iBl - YouTube

Any idea how time consuming it might be to get to the gear to replace it ?

We have 3 Robodrills where I work of early to mid - 2000s vintage. Never heard them make a noise like that on tool change. Video actually made me cringe when I first watched it.

Now whether it is actually a problem or not is another story. The tool change itself looks fine. I imagine the carousel could probably use some greasing or adjustment and it might be good as new.

Don - sounds rough compared to our couple.
Also the spindle sounds noisy - ours you can't hear run.
Guards are banging around on axis change as well.
Interesting about the spindle. I thought maybe but then I don't really know the RPM. I had an Enshu DTCL drill tap center once and at 8000 rpm I could not hear it running at all...thought it was not working first time I cranked it up.

Re guards banging around.... would that indicate just loose guard sections or something more sinister ?

I have worked around hundreds of Robodrills and none make that severe a noise during tool change. I second the suggestion that it is related to the tool changer indexing gear on the spindle.

Henry

I used to run a 96 or 97 robo and it sounded just like that. I wouldnt worry about it.
How am I supposed to square that with the other experienced Robodrill users who say that noise is not normal ? In other words, so far you are outvoted.

Also I don't know if it matters but a 96 would have a 10 tool carosel and the 97 would have 14 tool (i.e. like the one in question) The rotation mechanism may be exactly the same on either 10 or 14, but I wonder if there might be a minor difference.

That li'l rascule looks to have been rode hard and put away wet!
The pic of the electrical cabinet doesn't inspire confidence in the overall condition, either.
Yep. Funny that MV doesn't have a "Make Offer" button on that one either... like there would be someone on the planet insane enough to pay $20K for that ugly thing ? In contrast, electrical cabinet insides are absolutely pristine as new on the one in my video.

Hi,

Eight years old topic but as this was found through search I'll continue with this. Milacron's first video is not available anymore so I can't compare that but I've got the same issue. I just received new Robodrill, despite it being sold as used but it has never been used in production. Everything is great except the tool carousel rotation is very loud. Similar sound than what you can hear when somebody tightened too tight tapered roller bearings. It really caught my attention as my old Robodrill the rotation is quiet like on Grego639's video. Is this normal to new machine or could it be that it actually is tightened too tight? How could I check whether it's too tight or not?

Thank you in advance.

Back