What's new
What's new

Vise preferences?

Vise preference

• Total voters

ChipSplitter

Titanium
I'm not really satisfied with the newer Kurts like the DX-6. The chip evacuation sucks and the movable jaw lifts a few thou.

A lot of the more "modern" alternatives use proprietary/custom jaws AFAIK. Worth it for quick changeover?

I'm not trying to start a fight with this poll, I just wanted to see what everyone else likes.:dopeslap:

I'm not really satisfied with the newer Kurts like the DX-6. The chip evacuation sucks and the movable jaw lifts a few thou.

A lot of the more "modern" alternatives use proprietary/custom jaws AFAIK. Worth it for quick changeover?

I'm not trying to start a fight with this poll, I just wanted to see what everyone else likes.:dopeslap:
We have tried every vise I think and we keep going back to chick.

The orange vise 5 axis vise is real nice but the price is prohibitive.

I vote chick even though I hate the price of jaws..... I'll pay someone for the jaw cad model.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Orange can use dovetail jaws or standard Kurt bolt-on jaws. The dovetail stock can be bought as relatively inexpensive extrusion, but it is an easy enough thing for a machinist to fabricate themselves.

And of course, everything about the Orange is modular, so you can rip off the jaw carriers and put lots of things on. Orange sells aluminum/steel soft carriers, but you can fabricate your own for whatever you wish.

I like everything about Chick vises, except the totally proprietary jaws with outrageous prices. I might be able to get over that, except their design is quite hard to do a DIY sorta thing on. I honestly think Chick is losing a boatload of business because of this and they should reevaluate the strategy here.

I'm not really satisfied with the newer Kurts like the DX-6. The chip evacuation sucks

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this :angry:...."let's change the casting so when someone blows chips out, it shoots back at the person! Muwahaha"

Give me the old D688. We actually got TE-CO and I am satisfied with them for a basic vise.

Chick One-Lok. By far the best design out there. The solid center section makes it. Along with the quick moveable jaws.

Orange can use dovetail jaws or standard Kurt bolt-on jaws. The dovetail stock can be bought as relatively inexpensive extrusion, but it is an easy enough thing for a machinist to fabricate themselves.

And of course, everything about the Orange is modular, so you can rip off the jaw carriers and put lots of things on. Orange sells aluminum/steel soft carriers, but you can fabricate your own for whatever you wish.

I like everything about Chick vises, except the totally proprietary jaws with outrageous prices. I might be able to get over that, except their design is quite hard to do a DIY sorta thing on. I honestly think Chick is losing a boatload of business because of this and they should reevaluate the strategy here.

I don't understand the thought process of making something proprietary aka overpriced. OK, not entirely true, it's a cash grab I know, but doesn't add up. I guess some bean counter is saying "yes but we sell 1 set of jaws for $100, and our competitors (almost everyone else) use a standard jaw and sell 5 pairs for $120, we are making bank!"
:skep:

Speaking of vise jaws, want to plug monsterjaws here. For people who may not know, check them out for vise and lathe jaws, great prices! (no affiliation, just happy customer)

MonsterJaws Mfg - High Quality Chuck and Vise Jaws (Machinable Soft Jaws)

Depends on your use case.

The options you listed imply production machining, and of those I'd choose the One-Lok.

That's not the world I live in, so I voted "Other" - for low qty flexibility and precision, Gerardi modular all the way. They also make very nice 5 axis and multistation vices.

Orange vices look very nice, but I have never seen one in person, don't know if they are even available over this side of the pond.

I have been banging the "Kurt vices are extremely overrated" drum on here for years, but lately I've been adding the "but they're cheap" tagline as was pointed out to me by Bobw in one of the myriad other threads on this topic.

I think I prefer Orange. :cool:

I knew that was coming, LOL.

gregormarwick said:
Depends on your use case.

The options you listed imply production machining, and of those I'd choose the One-Lok.

We're not high production exactly, more shorter runs. Most of our high qty parts have their own custom fixture.

gkoenig said:

I like the features of the Chick and Orange Vise.
I'm just trying to justify $1000 for a 6" vise when TE-CO is like $500.
And I understand the reasoning about up-time, quick changeover, etc.

IDK, guess I'll have to taste all the Kool-Aid first........:willy_nilly:

We have tried every vise I think and we keep going back to chick.

The orange vise 5 axis vise is real nice but the price is prohibitive.

I vote chick even though I hate the price of jaws..... I'll pay someone for the jaw cad model.

What Chick vise are you looking for jaws for? I run a couple of the older QL6 vises and make my own jaws. I usually just get a 18" x 48" x 6" block of 2024 or 7075 and run off a draw full of them. I'd be happy to send you the solids if they would help you out.

As far as Kurt goes they are living off of an old reputation. While I would run their stuff if I get a good deal on it used I would never buy it new. Way too many better products out there or similar for less coin. Just my 2 cents

Once you go with a quick-change,quick move jaw style you will never want to go back.
Find a cheap used one on Ebay and give it a shot,then when you find out that you love it you'll buy new. :D

I knew that was coming, LOL.

We're not high production exactly, more shorter runs. Most of our high qty parts have their own custom fixture.

IDK, guess I'll have to taste all the Kool-Aid first........:willy_nilly:
I hope you don't ever desire a double- they begin about 2k.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have been using Kurt vises for around 30 years I recon, mostly the doubles, 3 on each machine sometimes 4. Each time I get a new machine I order a set of new ones to go on it and each time I liked the new ones less than the old ones. The early ones had a pinch bolt on the front allowing me to decide the position of the moveable jaws in seconds and they would open in the orded I wanted, the later ones may get some chips inbetween the jaws then adjust themselves. For likely 90% of the work I do it won't matter but for the other jobs they are a PITA. Repair part prices are way out of line in my opinion. My last new machine had me shopping around for a good set of old vises to go on it, so for anyone shopping for new vises I highly recomend trying something other than Kurt.

I have been using Kurt vises for around 30 years I recon, mostly the doubles, 3 on each machine sometimes 4. Each time I get a new machine I order a set of new ones to go on it and each time I liked the new ones less than the old ones. The early ones had a pinch bolt on the front allowing me to decide the position of the moveable jaws in seconds and they would open in the orded I wanted, the later ones may get some chips inbetween the jaws then adjust themselves. For likely 90% of the work I do it won't matter but for the other jobs they are a PITA. Repair part prices are way out of line in my opinion. My last new machine had me shopping around for a good set of old vises to go on it, so for anyone shopping for new vises I highly recomend trying something other than Kurt.
I found a good reseller of the dx6. $530 shipped. Real hard to beat that price.

I bought an old VF-1 with an unbranded vice that was used to cut steel using oil. That vice has always worked. I bought a new D688 and it lasted just over a year cutting aluminum a couple times a week in my home shop using Extreme Cut 230. Completely locked up. Cut the nut completely down to the screw on three sides and still could not turn the screw. Kurt does not honor their "Lifetime Warranty Iron Clad". Had to buy a new nut and screw. When I assembled it I put marine waterproof grease on the screw. Four months on it is still working but who knows for how long?
The D688 is out of production so I do not know if parts will still be available.

If you just want a single station “classic” vise in the old school Kurt 688 style, buying an Orange makes no sense. Orange is really a modular vise that you can do a bunch of tricks - it has a quick change jaw system, it has integrated Talon jaws, it has carriers you can pop off and replace with soft jaws, it has a pallet system built-in, it has multiple quick release options (Orange Ball Lock, Lang/5th Axis grids, etc). If none of that stuff gets used? It is a massive waste of money.

I use enough of those features that the value of an Orange is an easy ROI. If you use a vise as a single station config with hard jaws all the time? The Orange is not a great purchase.

For general purpose use on the typical vmc, consider getting reverse vices.

Your back, and the backs of your employees, will thank you as the years go by.

Plus, on a used vmc, reverse vices change the high-use area of the Y-axis ways and screw to a new area closer to the operator, which can improve accuracy if the vmc has high wear on the Y-axis where standard vices always put the tools.

ToolCat

For general purpose use on the typical vmc, consider getting reverse vices.

Your back, and the backs of your employees, will thank you as the years go by.

Plus, on a used vmc, reverse vices change the high-use area of the Y-axis ways and screw to a new area closer to the operator, which can improve accuracy if the vmc has high wear on the Y-axis where standard vices always put the tools.

ToolCat

I will 2nd the reverse vises! Why anybody uses a std. vise in a VMC is beyond me! Lots of bonuses:
Fixed jaw is usually integral to the vise body (zero jaw lift).
Less reach to get to working area of vise.
And the big one! The front of the vise is closed. When you are clearing chips from the bed with compressed air, they go out the sides and back.
Not the front shooting you in the crotch with a nice chip/coolant stew!
The Kurt 3610V is a good example. I ran GMT's version of the same basic vise for many years with great efficiency and success.
Only recently have I swapped the GMTs for Orange doubles.
Let me tell you something: the Oranges are freaking messy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ack2: (in comparison to the reversed premium style vises (esp. the way I had them set-up))
This is a double edged sword though. They are also very easy to break down and clean out.
Another thing about Oranges that needs to be pointed out! Especially after somebody above gave semi-false info:
You can no longer run std. jaws OR dovetailed jaws on Orange vises without buying a special set of jaw carriers!
I am also in the process of adopting the dovetail system. I like it. But, after using Monster-Jaws for about 10 years?
I am here to tell you: it is freaking expensive! NO, I do not think the time saved swapping jaws covers the cost difference. Not even close!
The Oranges are however quite versatile. The action gets a little weird after a couple years of hard use. But, they are really good vises.
Every Kurt or Chick double I have ever used has been a POS.

If I was in the market for single station vises it would be a really tough call. But, I think I would go Kurt 3610V and Monster-Jaws.
It is a tough combination to beat!

Chick is out simply because of their jaw system.

Back