Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    We essentially broached on Mazak VMC's on a regular basis at a past company. In tool steel.

Unfortunately I wasn't involved, so I can't really help other than to say the tool room did it on a regular basis. I do remember the spindle would increment and lock in position (couldn't/wouldn't rotate) as multiple cuts were made. I watched it run a few times, but never looked into the code or the tooling. Kinda wish I did, as I have a job that would save a setup if I could shave a 1/32 endmill cut to a square corner.

I do not know if Mazak was involved, or if special applications engineering was required.
    A couple of ways you can broach on your Brother (and other machines). If the cuts are fairly light and the quality of the broached or shaped feature is not super critical, you can hold the tool in a regular holder and use M19 to 'lock'. held by servo power so ok for lighter duty... You can add an R value to M19 in .001 degree increments to adjust the rotation position of the tool. If higher quality broaching is required, you can add a mechanical locking device to the holder and spindle something like the M140 turning adapters. Another way is rotary broaching which works well too for certain applications. Plus with your Brother is the super speedy Z retracts while 'pecking'.

2. Likes Jashley73, Fal Grunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    A couple of ways you can broach on your Brother (and other machines). If the cuts are fairly light and the quality of the broached or shaped feature is not super critical, you can hold the tool in a regular holder and use M19 to 'lock'. held by servo power so ok for lighter duty... You can add an R value to M19 in .001 degree increments to adjust the rotation position of the tool. If higher quality broaching is required, you can add a mechanical locking device to the holder and spindle something like the M140 turning adapters. Another way is rotary broaching which works well too for certain applications. Plus with your Brother is the super speedy Z retracts while 'pecking'.
    Thanks! I KNOW this will eventually be needed. Will file it away.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Done quite a bit of this, works surprisingly well.

Used it to do key ways, horn do the cutters check, out there website they have some tools, inserts and info on it.
    Also had specials made up to square out corners of a milled slot.

Take light cuts, 0.04-0.08mm and you should be fine.

Also done it on the lathe.
    Last edited by Stew123; 04-18-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Typos

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    Any way you can attach a static holder on your machine's spindle casting and avoid the spindle?

Or a clamp ring to go around the quill, with a feature to hold a HSS bit.

This seems like an alternative to a right angle head, which I've wanted to have so I could use a slitting saw to cut narrow keyways instead of the heartbreak of small endmills.