What's new
What's new

VMC, SPINDLE ORIENTATION OPTION

Interpolate

Aluminum
What are some examples of using the option of spindle orientation on a VMC? Would you start a exisiting tapped hole with this??
Thanks,
JD

Yes you would. But only if the you are re-tapping the hole. In other words, if you had to clear the chips to go full depth. And it has to be the same tap. Theoretically, you can take the toolholder out of the spindle, and/or the part out of the vice (although I don't recommend either), and as long as you put them back in the same place, the machine orients and the tap is in the right spot. But it is possible to put the tap back 180 deg. from where it was and then you've cross threaded your hole.
Another reason for TOOL HOLDER orientation, is when using a boring head. So you can bore repeatable holes.
Greg B.

non-360 degree infared surface sensing probes... aka Renishaw MP10 & MP12 series... you orient the probe so the IR signal goes to the receiver.

Re-tapping is a good example. I have had to do this on a 1/2x20 2" deep. I could not do it in 1 pass. I needed to do it in 2 passes. Orient makes it possible. Also think vertical broaching on the cnc mill. If you orient your spindle with a broach tool in it, you can step over in one direction, and then stroke down in Z. Step over some more, and repeat until done. Shaping is anther thing you can do. (small amounts anyway)
Same thing applies. Drop down, and run across the part. Repeat...

Have fun,
Doug

Can use orientation for all the above uses. Also for doing special jobs. Such as facing on the back of a hole or bore. Orient the tool and move the slide so the tool can enter a hole without dragging. Move back to center and do the back face. re-orient the spindle (tool) move slide and withdraw the tool from hole. Can be used to keep the tool from dragging in the withdraw of a boring tool at the bottom of a cut. Same back off technique.
It is also required for tool changing, although you don't set it still must "clock' to allow the tool change.
Cheers Ross

Most of the spindle orientation was done at first for rigid tapping. Now, if you've got it on a machine, it's hard to live without. From everything mentioned above like touch probe and back-face tools, to using a rotary broach and having the flats be in the right spot.

JR

Is this a C axis for a Machining Center?

The only spindle orientation on a VMC that I am familier with is just a shot pin for tool changer alignment. I guess I'm out of date on mills eh?

Does this feature replace the shot pin then?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

How do you complete a tool change on a machine without spindle orientation?? You need to align the drive keys with the slots on the toolholders somehow??? And how is rigid tapping different from spindle orientation??? Do you need one to have the other???

Just curious...

Tim

We use it for piercing slots in aluminum tubing. Works well when you need to orient you blade while working your way around a part. Who says a VMC is for milling and drilling only :D .

Most Machining centers nowadays have Sservo Motors for spindle power. Coupled directly, thru belts or gears does not matter much. The C axis is the feedback from the spindle servo encoder, just as spindle orient on main and sub spindles in lathes.
Tool changes, probe cycles, rigid tapping, the limit is your imagination. Be forewarned that most machine tool makers cringe if you ask about shaping slots with an oriented spindle......

Back