What's new
What's new

VMC Tapping

Fiaz

Plastic
Hi Every one

please send me feed and speed Different tap tools, Metric & Inch Tapping Formulas , how to calculate it

with different Material Like aluminum & 4140 Steel etc.

Better to use G95 (feed per revolution) in tapping.
F becomes the pitch, independent of rpm.

It's sketchy at best if you don't have a tap rev limiter with a tap transducer.

You should probably buy a pneumatic tapping arm.

It's sketchy at best if you don't have a tap rev limiter with a tap transducer.

You should probably buy a pneumatic tapping arm.

Haha, that's mean. He could be working on a Speedio, we have no idea-obviously.

OP, speed changes with material, feed is the Pitch in whatever way you would like to translate that.

It helps also if when you post a question you come at it without demanding it from us. Try asking with the please word.

R

G95 is not supported on many machining centers. Particularly older ones.

If G95 is not supported, it can artificially be made effective by setting parameter 1402#0 (NPC) to 1.
The specified feed would be internally converted to feed per minute based on the specified rpm and the feed per revolution. This, of course, may not be very accurate necessitating the use of floating holder. The only advantage is that instead of we doing the calculation, the machine does it. If position coder is later installed, this parameter would need to be made 0.

Maybe on the lower end machines it's not supported, but I've been using it for tapping on my Okumas and my Hyundai-Wia vmc's for a long time.

Okuma has had G95 as a standard feature at least as far back as the mid 80s when I first started working on them. It worked on both interpolated (feed) movements as well as tapping cycles. In that era, they were the first and only machining center with that ability without purchasing an optional spindle encoder that I had ever seen. By the mid 90s many control builders had rigid tapping dialed and some allowed (or required) pitch designation for the feed command. Few of those controls would allow G95 to function outside of a tapping cycle though unless an optional spindle encoder was fitted.

I'm interested about your Hyundai-Wias. Do you, or can you, use G95 outside of tapping cycles?

sinha said:
If G95 is not supported, it can artificially be made effective by setting parameter 1402#0 (NPC) to 1.

This ability only began with the Fanuc 16 series control of the mid 90s.

Haha, that's mean. He could be working on a Speedio, we have no idea-obviously.

OP, speed changes with material, feed is the Pitch in whatever way you would like to translate that.

It helps also if when you post a question you come at it without demanding it from us. Try asking with the please word.

R

If they can't even figure out the calculation for the feed of a tap, then I stand by the pneumatic tapping arm statement.

Back