What's new
What's new

Way cover repair help

DavidScott

Diamond
Well I had a nasty surprise when doing my Friday wash down. The telescoping Y axis way cover had one segment that was very skewed with a big gap between the top wiper and adjacent segment with one side bent out at the bottom :eek:. The good news is there is no real damage to the metal but I need to procure some plastic and rubber parts to fix it. Luckily, I hope, it was made by Henning so from their website it looks like I can get the parts, at least for the Y axis covers. Both the X and Z axis covers look original and the X covers need some parts too. The problem started with worn plastic parts, some missing, that allowed the seals to let some chips in, which built up in the bottom of the sides, which got in the way when the table was moved close to the column. Henning has a nice repair manual online that was a wealth of info when I needed it on Saturday. Here is the link http://www.hennig-inc.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDFs/Assembly_Instructions/TSC/MTSA_E_1306.pdf . In the manual it states that occasional inspection and cleaning to avoid this is needed. Below are a few photos showing what I have so far.

Cover-1.jpgCover-2.jpgChips.jpg

It doesn't look too bad but it doesn't take very many chips in the wrong spot to cause some expensive problems. The photo of chips is what came off the covers. I have already hammered the dents out and nudged the sides back in so the seals work. Once I get the parts and the covers assembled correctly I will sand them smooth.

Since way covers are a common issue for us all I figured I would document my repair. If I had waited a few more days I think I would be sending it all off to Henning for them to do it. As Richard King posted a few days ago how often do you pull off the way covers and make sure all is well, including the lube ports. I think most big problems start with minor failures.

The "help" part may come later if I can't find all the parts I need.

Looks nice David, it's nice to see you have a good Preventive Maintenance Program going.

When I go into a shop to quote a rebuild job and watch the operators squirting air onto the ways and way covers I tell them to turn up the pressure and get an odd look....then I laugh and say Yeah doing that you will have to call me sooner....lol
Then say "You can pay me now or pay me later" Remembering this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1yDpfZI8Q
Merry Christmas everyone Rich

Well I had a nasty surprise when doing my Friday wash down. The telescoping Y axis way cover had one segment that was very skewed with a big gap between the top wiper and adjacent segment with one side bent out at the bottom :eek:. The good news is there is no real damage to the metal but I need to procure some plastic and rubber parts to fix it. Luckily, I hope, it was made by Henning so from their website it looks like I can get the parts, at least for the Y axis covers. Both the X and Z axis covers look original and the X covers need some parts too. The problem started with worn plastic parts, some missing, that allowed the seals to let some chips in, which built up in the bottom of the sides, which got in the way when the table was moved close to the column. Henning has a nice repair manual online that was a wealth of info when I needed it on Saturday. Here is the link http://www.hennig-inc.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDFs/Assembly_Instructions/TSC/MTSA_E_1306.pdf . In the manual it states that occasional inspection and cleaning to avoid this is needed. Below are a few photos showing what I have so far.

View attachment 157416View attachment 157417View attachment 157418

It doesn't look too bad but it doesn't take very many chips in the wrong spot to cause some expensive problems. The photo of chips is what came off the covers. I have already hammered the dents out and nudged the sides back in so the seals work. Once I get the parts and the covers assembled correctly I will sand them smooth.

Since way covers are a common issue for us all I figured I would document my repair. If I had waited a few more days I think I would be sending it all off to Henning for them to do it. As Richard King posted a few days ago how often do you pull off the way covers and make sure all is well, including the lube ports. I think most big problems start with minor failures.

The "help" part may come later if I can't find all the parts I need.

I've used Hennig a couple of times. Used to have an old Bridgeport VMC that wore out the covers, had to replace a couple there, still have a Chevalier VMC that I had to replace the Z axis cover on. Gave Hennig all the dimensions that they asked for on their form, took a while, but got it up and running. Need to look at the back Y axis cover on that machine now. The work never ends, just the money. But Hennig is a good name to know on those covers.

In a 24/7 operation we inspect the outside of the covers every three months for wear/damage (maintenance department). Operations is assigned to check them monthly but since they clean the machines out shifty they should be paying closer attention to them more often than that. As far as pulling them back, we do it every six months.

Hennig is a good one for repairs, have also used BUWW with good results as well.

Well $%*!!@$$, it looks like the way cover is original and Hennig replaced the metal wiper profiles. The parts I need are not Hennig items, but a part they have may work for one of them. They do have the wiper material, for $17 a meter. I did get some info off of a label and Hennig said the way covers were made by Enomoto in Japan. I went to their website, looked at their overseas network, and found Hennig was it. Turns out they are their reps in the US and Europe. I will get one of the "maybe" parts to make sure it works before getting all 24 and make the parts they don't have. Here are the photos I sent Hennig. The rubber bumper part is the maybe and the red plastic part is the one I will be making. Although I am not getting what I want I can't complain about their service.

If anyone knows where I can get either the rubber bumper or red plastic parts please let me know.

Black-rubber-part-2.jpgRed-plastic-part-2.jpgWiper-2.jpg

Anyone Find Bumper Source?

In know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone ever found a source for the rubber bumpers that go in between the the covers? We have a couple of machines (Mazak VCN-510C) that we need to service & wile doing my research I found this thread.

In know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone ever found a source for the rubber bumpers that go in between the the covers? We have a couple of machines (Mazak VCN-510C) that we need to service & wile doing my research I found this thread.
Try McMaster Carr, they have a lot of them. The bumpers don't have to be exact, just have to fit and be the same height.

I finally found out that the covers I was looking to service were actually made by Hansung in Korea. I have the part numbers for the wiper material for the Mazak VCN 510C-2 if anyone out there is looking for them & can't match to any aftermarket parts. I still can't get the bumpers & slides, however we plan to either mill or 3D print what we need. I emailed Hansung in Korea, but haven't heard back from them (really don't expect to).

Back