What's new
What's new

Way OT- Milling paths while lawnmowing?

proturn

Stainless
Just thought I'd throw this out there on this fine Monday. Who else thinks of CNC milling paths while mowing your yard? I had to laugh at myself while mowing the lawn this weekend! I now know that machining is a sickness:ack2:

Proturn;)

I always do, I've found with my push mower the bi-directional zig zag pattern gets it done fastest. Sometimes if I let it go to long I'll do some adaptive clearing with a 50% stepover.

But have you entered the dimensions and used your CAD/CAM system to optimize the toolpath? Didn't think so...

Plus, I find that, when mowing, flood coolant is best applied to the operator, rather than the cutting tool. Coolant brand is left up to the operator, of course. :)

Chip

I climb cut, one direction only. It takes me twice as long, but it's worth it. 2/3 stepover.

Edge trimmer at 45-degrees for a nice chamfer.

On my 3d surface lawn I made a custom ball blade. Usually shoot for 1/8" scallop height for roughing and 1/16" sub finish and 1/32" finish pass.

I always conventional mow, as opposed to climb mowing, so I don't re-cut any grass chips. And for slotting on that first cut, make sure you have a 2 fluted blade.

So the wife wants to mow the lawn.... yippie skippie, less work for me. :)
This is the clutch, use this gear, set the deck here......

Now she is mowing........
"Here, cut this first, clean out these corners, get this tab off early.
By doing so you get rid of three or four passes."

SWMBO gives you that distinctive "go away look" and at this point you realize you have spent too much time as a tool engineer.
Bob

my problem is the porosity and slag inclusions left by the dog
a spinning drive wheel tells me I didn't check for the soft ones before pushing the green button

how much are you guys getting for the chips?

Sometimes for fun I perform an climb pocketing cycle from the center out. I think it really does get the grass mown faster. Now if I could get the wife to stop wasting gas running HSM tool paths for smoothness.

I do this constantly. When my grass is really tall I wish I had super fast feed rates (could run really fast) so I could run a HSM grass cutting path and not bog down my mower. Heavy depth of cut light stepover is the hot ticket in tall grass. It is a sickness certainly!!!

Good thing machinist humor never gets old.

I'm working on a new mower right now so I can plunge rough the grass. The rigidity in Z should really help my MMR. PCD blade should help too. Only cost me 10 grand to have custom made.

Good thing machinist humor never gets old.

I'm working on a new mower right now so I can plunge rough the grass. The rigidity in Z should really help my MMR.

I think you mean, "GMR".
Try some of these new variable flute blades. If you can't get them, at least a hog blade should help you take bigger cuts.

Back