What's new
What's new

wear offset on lathe when using q setter

cgrim3

Cast Iron
Hi all,

We have a 1998 daewoo puma 200 with a mitsubishi meldas 500 controller. It does have a q setter. My question is do you have to zero out your tool wear offsets before you pick up your tools on the q setter?

Thanks,

Chris

Seems if you're installing and measuring new tools, you would want to eliminate all settings for previous tools... don't you think?

Understand the wear setting is an operator entered compensation amount, applied to a still existing or previous tool that has cut a part feature, feature measured and then error adjusted for in the Wear Offset column.

So the short answer I'd say is remove it. It has no meaning to a new tool being setup.

Hi all,

We have a 1998 daewoo puma 200 with a mitsubishi meldas 500 controller. It does have a q setter. My question is do you have to zero out your tool wear offsets before you pick up your tools on the q setter?

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,
It depends on the PLC program used as to whether the Wear Offset is set to zero or not as part of the Tool Setting procedure.

I've not seen one example where the Q setter took into account an existing Wear Offset and calculated the Geometry Offset of the tool around it. In all cases, the value calculated for the Geometry Offset has been on the basis that the Wear Offset was Zero. In some instances, I've seen the Wear Offset left intact and in all cases, the resulting machining was out by the amount of the Wear Offset.

If the Wear Offset is being left intact, I would be setting it to Zero manually. But to be sure, you can conduct a test on a test piece, using a fairly large Wear Offset so that the result can't be confused with a slight inaccuracy of the Q Setter.

Regards,

Bill

I don't know how Mitsubishi controls are but all the Fanuc controls I have worked with automatically zero the wear offsets when you touch off a tool manually or by using a probe/setter.

Do you guys always back you wear offsets off at the start of the part to make sure you don't cut OD undersize or ID oversize? If turning .250 shaft, we back wear offset off by .003 and sneak up on the size. Do you guys do that?

Do you guys always back you wear offsets off at the start of the part to make sure you don't cut OD undersize or ID oversize? If turning .250 shaft, we back wear offset off by .003 and sneak up on the size. Do you guys do that?

I do the same thing on finishing tools.

Most of the time it turns out to be unnecessary, but there have been times where it saved the part.

I do the same thing on finishing tools.

Most of the time it turns out to be unnecessary, but there have been times where it saved the part.

I back off the offsets by twice the amount the program calls out for finishing allowance. So if the rougher cuts the part to + 0.020 in X and + 0.005 in Z. I back off .040 and .010. After running the finish pass and making measurements I move the offset half way. If it varies by a few tenths, I know how to lie to it to get the desired size, and then a run a final finish pass. This is on a lathe. Works pretty good I can easily get within .0005 on the 1st part, which is often the only part. It is slow and tedious but if the part is expensive the time is worth it. I make a lot of one off parts that size and surface finish are critical on.

Tolerances you are working with? Depends, +/-.005 NO. +/-.001 yes.... that said, we normally cut within a thou of programmed size with CAM values... Depends on machines, cutting tools, setups, etc etc

Back