What's new
What's new

What is this adjustable angle table called?

ichudov

Hot Rolled
I bought this Makino CNC, and on top of it, there is a 4th axis setup that is mounted on a cool looking steel T-slot table that is rounded on the bottom. The table appears to have an adjustable mounting angle. Does anyone know what it is called? The adjustment range is, clearly, not great.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 472
Thanks! I thought that sine plates were the small pieces for grinding only. Plus it is adjusted in an odd (to me ) way

I bought this Makino CNC, and on top of it, there is a 4th axis setup that is mounted on a cool looking steel T-slot table that is rounded on the bottom. The table appears to have an adjustable mounting angle. Does anyone know what it is called? The adjustment range is, clearly, not great.

Don't scrap or throw that out, if you loose interest in it I'd probably be happy to take it off your hands...

That almost looks like an old landis o.d. grinding table that has been modified as a sine plate.

Just today a tool and die maker I work with was showing me how to use our OD grinder and this is exactly what I thought of when I saw that pic!

You'll see such a custom built arrangement anywhere people make milling cutter bodies, indexable drills, boring bars etc.
You don't need a lot of adjustment, just enough to put the rake in pocket.
Bob

In the 80's before the wide availability of reasonably priced 5 axis machines, I saw several instances of HMC's using tombstones with a tilting center plate in aerospace job shops. Could tilt about 15 degrees either direction making quasi A axis. Usually the machines were probe equipped so the program could verify that the operator had tilted the fixture the correct amount.

Given that there is an A axis setting on top of it - I see no value in the sine plate.

What am I missing?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back